Amarillo Pale Ale late hop addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulasaurus

Reaction score
I just picked up this kit today(swapped muntons yeast for us-05)-
Amarillo Pale Ale w/Munton's 6 gm dry yeast :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

As I was reading through the directions I noticed that the last hop addition comes at flameout.

"After boiling for 40 minutes add 1 oz Amarillo flavor hops. Boil for 20 minutes more, add 1 oz Amarillo and remove the pot from the burner."

Being as it comes so late and doesn't really go through any boil should I pour the wort, trub and all into the primary or strain it as I usually do. Adding the hops at flameout then straining in out right away just seems like a waste where as if I leave the trub for the primary it seems almost like a pre-dryhop in a way. Or am I way off in thinking this way?

Little help in understanding the flameout addition, I want to keep all the hop flavor I possibly can .

Thanks for the help all

Thanks for the link it was very informative but still didn't answer my question.

I also have done a search and just made another attempt at finding the info through searching and have had zero luck finding the answer to my question. Guess i'll keep looking or just strain or not.

Or maybe it did answer my question and i'm thinking too hard about it.

Strain as normal. The hops will just be in contact for a short time for aroma. SOme hops will get into the primary as normal anyway.

Thanks for the quick response there. I guess I am thinking about it too hard and worried about my precious hops.

If i'm so worried maybe I should just dry hop it :)

Add your hops at flameout then commence with cooling. The hops will have adequate time to release aroma compounds and you can then separate them from the wort going into the fermenter as normal. I try and filter off as much hop material as I can, but there's no need to stress if it gets into the fermenter. Given enough time, it will settle out.

Thanks Fly. I'm not really worried about the hops getting into my primary, I was more worried about the utilization of the hops and if adding it at flameout would allow all the aromatic flavors to get into my wort. I thought maybe leaving the hops in the wort for primary ferm would help the flavor.

But it sounds like I was worried about nothing, from the sounds of it adding hops at flameout gives the hops plenty of time to give 100% hops utilization and they are spent by the time the wort is cooled so I might as well strain as usual.

Thanks all

Thanks Fly. I'm not really worried about the hops getting into my primary, I was more worried about the utilization of the hops and if adding it at flameout would allow all the aromatic flavors to get into my wort. I thought maybe leaving the hops in the wort for primary ferm would help the flavor.

But it sounds like I was worried about nothing, from the sounds of it adding hops at flameout gives the hops plenty of time to give 100% hops utilization and they are spent by the time the wort is cooled so I might as well strain as usual.

Thanks all

The term hop utilization actually refers to isomerization and dissolution of alpha acids, and the best anyone can expect to get on a homebrew scale is about 30% for a long boil. For an aroma addition at flameout, you are really looking for hop oil extraction (rather than bittering alpha acids), and the time it takes to cool will give you all you need.

The term hop utilization actually refers to isomerization and dissolution of alpha acids, and the best anyone can expect to get on a homebrew scale is about 30% for a long boil. For an aroma addition at flameout, you are really looking for hop oil extraction (rather than bittering alpha acids), and the time it takes to cool will give you all you need.

Thank you Kev! Great info to have.

Back