Amarillo first wort hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShizuokaBrad

Reaction score
Has anyone done first wort hopping with Amarillo? Let me know your experiences if you've done it. If not, what are your thoughts on using this technique with Amarillo?

I haven't FWH'd with Amarillo, its such a great flavor and aroma hop I klind of hate to use it for a bittering addition, which is what I've found FWH'ing to be.

I haven't FWH'd with Amarillo, its such a great flavor and aroma hop I klind of hate to use it for a bittering addition, which is what I've found FWH'ing to be.

I agree 100% with regards to using amarillo for bittering. Amarillo will likely work fine though. Magnum or some other generic high alpha acid hop is a better choice since it's a lot cheaper and you won't have availability issues.

Has anyone done first wort hopping with Amarillo? Let me know your experiences if you've done it. If not, what are your thoughts on using this technique with Amarillo?

in my Pilx, I use Amarillo in FHW, and all the rest is Saaz. It has a gentle lemony taste very well paired with Saaz aromas in a pils-like beer.

I'd prefer to use it in FWH more because you will keep some flavors that would otherwise be lost if you use it for classic bittering at the beginning of the boil.
I agree with other comments, it's a shame to lose the aromas of amarillo. But in FWH you will keep a consistent part of those aromas/flavors

Interesting. Thanks guys. Maybe I'll just use magnum as FWH on my next batch. I have a bunch of Amarillo now so availability isn't an issue. I actually don't have much experience at all with Amarillo since it's virtually unknown in Japan. I might try it at some point on a smaller batch just to experiment.

Back