Amarillo/Citra VS Amarillo/Simcoe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
i wanna make an ipa with one of these two combinations. im looking for a real tropical fruity flavour. now i have made an amarillo/citra pale ale before which was great but i recently tried an all simcoe ipa and the flavour was great, real fruity so im wondering would it be a good combination with amarillo or should i play it safe and stick with what i know? which combination will give me that great tropical fruit flavour?

I would say that classically Citra is considered to be much fruitier than Simcoe, and is more likely to get you that tropical fruit flavor. That said, both Amarillo and Citra are pretty fruity so the beer is gonna be fruity either way, and if you liked Simcoe but haven't brewed with it before, it might be worth a shot for the sake of variety.

For what it's worth, I just finished drinking the last two bottles of an IPA last weekend that used a good amount of late addition Amarillo.
(about a month in the bottle after a VERY long "stuck" fermentation. End the end it turned out terrific.)

I always think of Amarillo as being on the more mango/peach side of things and Citra as being a little brighter and more grapefruit like in aroma/taste.

Simcoe I enjoy a lot too but I find it to be a more dense (slightly dank).

If it were me I might lean towards the balance of Amarillo and Citra.

Depends on the grain bill to in terms of what the hops balance is sitting on top of.

Back