Am I the only one :0)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayneh

Reaction score
Is it just me or are there other married men out there with kids that find themselves sneaking off to the brew space in the house 20 times a day to look at fermenting beer? " what's that honey you need me to check the laundry in the basement, I'm on it".

Thats me. I check the arilock and the temp about 10 times a day. You have to be sure things are going well. ;)

Well, I'm not a married man. But I do go sit and admire my airlocks. I look at the temperature on the strip, and then walk over and sniff my airlock.

I even have my grandson, who came from dinner last night, snuggle on my lap and watch the airlocks and look at the temperature strip. (He's 2). It's a sickness. I mean that in a good way.

Nope; single and my home is my castle.

Got beer fermenting in the kitchen, a humidor with cigars next to the patio door, some pipes/tobacco on the coffee table next to my tetsubin, and my gun on the nightstand.

Life is good; a bit lonely at times, but all in all pretty good

Everytime I find myself sniffing an airlock over and over for a whiff of the hops aroma I tried for, I picture Revvy saying "don't sniff that airlock!"

I thought I was the only one. And it isn't a matter of counting the bubbles (which I may or may not do, don't judge me) or taking the temp. I think of the beer as my offspring and I feel.. dare I say it... a great love for them. So naturally I will want to be near them!

Get 4 fermenters going at the same time, turn off the lights, and just listen to the bubbles in the airlocks. It's a pop concert.

not married, but yeah i creep in there and sit on the floor at 2 in the morning to watch it bubble and churn. and my nephew (also 2 years old) sits on my lap daily and checks the temp, the airlock, and the trub.

I used to sniff airlocks, then I started fermenting in a chest freezer. CO2 burns. Painful. Now I waft airlocks.

Brewed a batch of White House Honey Ale with 8 friends this weekend - last night, I put a camera in the freezer/fermentation chamber and took a brief video of the blowoff tube bubbling away furiously, then sent it to them. Yes, I sent a video to friends of CO2 venting through water. I am Mr. Excitement.

It's not just you. My routine when I get home from work is: Kiss my wife, kiss my daughter, pet the cats, then go down to the basement and check on the beer! I even hung a remote thermometer sender right next to my fermenter so I can keep an eye on the temps down there. One of the best things about brewing is the interest my daughter takes in it. She loves to help me brew, she gets to dump the DME in and loves to smell the hops. Best thing is, she's my designated bottle-filler, so all I have to do is sanitize the bottles and cap 'em!

Walked down to my basement last evening with my 2 & 4 yr old to check on the beer and showed them those bubbles. I find if I keep myself extra busy I can cut down to 2 visits a day just to stare at the fermentors. Trying to cut back you know?

Brewed a batch of White House Honey Ale with 8 friends this weekend - last night, I put a camera in the freezer/fermentation chamber and took a brief video of the blowoff tube bubbling away furiously, then sent it to them. Yes, I sent a video to friends of CO2 venting through water. I am Mr. Excitement.

Boy, you sure know how to party.

I used to sniff airlocks, then I started fermenting in a chest freezer. CO2 burns. Painful. Now I waft airlocks.

You only make the mistake of sticking your head in the freezer and inhaling one time. I near knocked myself out when I did it.

I don't have so much of a problem anymore of constantly checking airlocks now that my new obsession is constantly reorganizing the beer closet.

You only make the mistake of sticking your head in the freezer and inhaling one time. I near knocked myself out when I did it.

I don't have so much of a problem anymore of constantly checking airlocks now that my new obsession is constantly reorganizing the beer closet.

I definitely want to see that video.

Now that I'm retired,I have the fermenter stand next to the comp hutch. This way,I can sniff airlocks/blow off jugs & listen tot he bubbling all I want. Especially effective when I'm on here drinkin brews with y'all...like now for example.:drunk::tank: The smoker I drink,the player I get!

Back