Am I screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SippinSudz

Reaction score
Brewing a 22L batch of Coopers Stout
OG 1.044

Rehydrated dry packet 7g coopers yeast in 21°C water for 45m
Pitched it into a hot Wort of about 25°C

No signs of anything happening after 24hours...
Did I kill most of the yeast when temperature shocking it?

Can I maybe pitch 14g of dry coopers yeast and save it?? My recipe has lots of fermentables and maybe needed 14g in the first place

25°C is 77°F so no, that didn't kill the yeast from temp shock if that was your temp. About 25C makes one question how close is "about"?

7g is under pitching by any use of the definition. Chances are things will get rolling in another day or so.

4 degrees isn't enough to shock it, and 25º isn't too terribly hot, either. Maybe not ideal, but definitely nothing to worry about. Some yeast can see lag times as high as a few days, so I'd say wait until day 4 before worrying. Also, if your fermentor isn't sealed properly, your airlock won't bubble, which means it may be fermenting, you just can't see it.

Sit and wait. Don't add anything.

The temp of my starters is usually ~102F (38.8C). I have read somewhere that the cell wall of dry yeast is very fragile, and the warm temp is critical in the first few moments to rebuild the wall. Also, the lower temp could hurt the viability of the yeast. My fermentation has always started withing 24 hours, it could take up to 60 hours to start. I would wait and see. If signs have not started within the 60 hours, I would start looking at re pitching.

Is your primary a bucket or carboy? if it is a bucket CO2 could be escaping from the lid, I have seen threads where people had this issue.

It's a bucket I've rigged for first time with blow off tube.

This is my 7 or 8th brew and all have started within 12 hours.

My bucket is sitting steady at 68° it took the wort about 4hrs to come down to 68°

I have been looking for krausen ring not c02 activity.

I do see 1/4" trub on bottom though.
I was expecting a big ferment needing blow off.

I have fermentation!
Is it ever lacking tho..... Finally showing signs on the top. Barley any action but I'll give it another 24-48 hours and see how it does.

Is there a chance there's too much fermentables for the yeast?

No, but for some reason Cooper's packages their kits with 7 gram packs of yeast when most dry yeast comes in 11 gram packs.

I would just let it go at this point. The yeast will reproduce to counts that are enough to ferment the wort.

Keep the fermentation temperatures under control and I would bet the beer will be decent. IMO, take the next step and get a better kit, or do a brew from a good recipe.

I have fermentation!
Is it ever lacking tho..... Finally showing signs on the top. Barley any action but I'll give it another 24-48 hours and see how it does.

Is there a chance there's too much fermentables for the yeast?

Nope- no chance. The relative underpitch meant that the yeast had to spend extra time building up their numbers prior to switching over to fermentation. You could have pitched more within the 1st 12 hours or so, but by now, what's done is done. Just keep good control of the fermentation temperature. Keep it at the low end of the yeast's range for the first 4 days, then start to warm her up to keep the yeast active.
edit- good point kh54s10- The Muntons yeast packets are also 7gm which is almost criminal. You always have to use two or more.

Clearly I need to do and research on how yeast works! Thanks for all the replies.

I only have access to 4 different brand Extract kits without ordering online at ridiculous prices.

Coopers has made some decent beer, but I'm hoping the Canadian Blonde I bottled 3 days ago will be my best yet. All malt, no more dextrose. I plan to use a different yeast, I read some pack tighter on the bottom etc and would like to experiment. I ferment strictly at 20°C as my second bathroom shower is a small enclosed glass one, that does not go above or below which is awesome for what i brew right now. I'm curious to see if fermentation adds temperature to this beer.

I'm excited for the many years ahead of screwing up, flunking out, and purposely making some wicked beer.

Thanks again for all the input!

(Does anyone think adding 4-5 vanilla bean pods, split, to the fermenter is a good idea?) I wish to try on my next stout in a couple months.

Clearly I need to do and research on how yeast works! Thanks for all the replies.

I only have access to 4 different brand Extract kits without ordering online at ridiculous prices.

Coopers has made some decent beer, but I'm hoping the Canadian Blonde I bottled 3 days ago will be my best yet. All malt, no more dextrose. I plan to use a different yeast, I read some pack tighter on the bottom etc and would like to experiment. I ferment strictly at 20°C as my second bathroom shower is a small enclosed glass one, that does not go above or below which is awesome for what i brew right now. I'm curious to see if fermentation adds temperature to this beer.

I'm excited for the many years ahead of screwing up, flunking out, and purposely making some wicked beer.

Thanks again for all the input!

(Does anyone think adding 4-5 vanilla bean pods, split, to the fermenter is a good idea?) I wish to try on my next stout in a couple months.

Expect fermentation to add anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees, so if the ambient air is 68, you're actually fermenting much higher than that. Even the addition of 5 degrees at that temp could add undesirable off flavors. I'm not saying your beer is going to suck, but just understand that it might not be as good as it could be. If, after a few batches, you're thinking "I think this could be a little better," try using a swamp cooler to get the temp down a little. I bet you'll see a noticeable increase in the quality of the end product.

As far as vanilla goes, I think 4-5 might be a little much for a 5 gallon batch. I believe most use only 1 or 2. Throw it in after fermentation is done, I think it'll be a wonderful addition to a stout.

You'll get better extraction by putting those bean pods in a base alcohol and add that tincture to the beer.

Thanks for the replies again.

The sticky thermometer on my fermentor is reading 68° steady. So I guess the wort inside could be slightly higher.

Thanks for the insight. I'm not going to open it to get a temp reading, but I'll look into a swamp cooler and what they're worth, or make it myself.

Back