Am I on wrong track or is my Apple Cider gonna waste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moeez25041993

Reaction score
Hi. I am new to this forum. I am questions regarding ACV. But for this I am writing the complete scenario for understanding.
Last year, I made ACV (watching some tutorials from YouTube) and ingredients I used were:
1. Water
2. Sugar
3. Apples as whole
During the making of it, I had the smell of something acidic going around in the kitchen and i guess it was fine but even after fermenting and preserving it for a long time, I couldn't see the Mother in it (the cloudy film in it).
Question 1: Did I do something wrong in it? Although I took care of everything even I tasted a bit sour and acidic too. I still have it preserved in a bottle.
Moving ahead, about 2 and a half week back from today, I started to make another batch of ACV and ingredients I used this time were:
1. Water
2. Sugar
3. Apples as whole
4. Yeast (a lil bit, not much)
5. Previous batch ACV (just a glass of it in a jar)
Problem is that I am actually worried about is, when I stirred it after one week of starting, I could see some bubbles in it, but after 2nd week when I looked at it to stir, I couldn't see any bubbles in it and majority of the apples were sunken to the bottom, I tried smelling it closely. Okay, it smells a bit of acidic of maybe alcoholic but it's aroma isn't spreading like the previous one in the kitchen.
Question 2: I am worried if this batch is waste, is the yeast in it is dead, if there is less sugar in it, is there something else or if it's going fine? (No, there is no mold or something in it, that's atleast a good sign)
Question 3: I am not clear till day that how long do we have to ferment apples then enclose the liquid to form the Mother?

Please guide me, because I really am worried about it.

Update: I just went to go stir it up and this kinda layer I saw over the cider (this is not original photo, taken from internet for reference looking like a cloudy film)

Attachments

• pApple-Cider-Mold-1x230.jpg
    pApple-Cider-Mold-1x230.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 18
I’ve never made it that way I usually use fermented cider but you will need to have a low PH so it doesn’t get moldy.

I would start with what you have and add some braggs apple cider vinegar to get a mother going.

I’ve never made it that way I usually use fermented cider but you will need to have a low PH so it doesn’t get moldy.

I would start with what you have and add some braggs apple cider vinegar to get a mother going.

I read somewhere that it happens when sugar is in excess. I just added some yeast to it and you won't believe i can see that bubbling going like right now that made clear that i think i got messed up with yeast since start because i think i made a mistake by adding a lil bit hot water not lukewarm water. Will check it regularly, hopefully I have to keep a strict check on sugar and yeast so that the process could proceed smoothly.

please describe some ways to lower the pH too.. thank you in advance.. :)

You could just add some store bought apple cider vinegar, that is probably the best way because that’s what your trying to achieve anyway.

I just use apple juice to make hard cider and after it is fermented then add some Braggs and wait 6 weeks

You could just add some store bought apple cider vinegar, that is probably the best way because that’s what your trying to achieve anyway.

I just use apple juice to make hard cider and after it is fermented then add some Braggs and wait 6 weeks

Update: Today I checked the jars of ACV, two of them have stopped bubbling for now but i has strong, really strong aroma in the kitchen (I tried smelling it further but I just got dizzy tbh 😂). Plus I have also started making a new batch along.

Question: Please look at the images below and let me know if it needs some further time to ferment or do i go straining it...? (In the old batch, SOME of the apples are floating now, but it does have that pungent smell)

117933658_959022644561883_2976191748259262714_n.jpg
117935820_335613944488290_619116722424297833_n.jpg

Back