Am I on track?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sion96

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm 2 days into my first brew at the moment, the basic recipe is 1.8 litres of fresh pressed apples, 1 cup of sugar and a general brewers yeast. Does this plan sound right? - let it sit in primary untill only tiny/practically no bubbles show and then let it sit in secondary for a week or two, then add 1.5grams of sugar to each 300-340ml bottle (for carbonation) and let still for a week or two in the fridge, then drink or age? sound like a plan? where are the flaws? Also with that much sugar and letting it sit until completely fermented, without a hydrometer what would you estimate the abv. to be at? also if its to dry for me, how much xylitol should i put into each 300-340ml bottle as a starting point?
Thanks,

Carbonation comes from fermentation, so keep the bottles at fermentation temp, not in the fridge, while carbonating. You can refrigerate after it carbonates.

If it ferments to dry, I'd guess your ABV will be around 11%

I live in sunny south africa, i really wouldn't know where to get one?!

Several wineries producing some fine wines in South Africa, I'm sure there is either a homebrew supply shop or a science supply shop that would be happy to sell you a hydrometer. Then there's always the intenet, lots of homebrew supply shops online, though it'll cost you some extra Rand to ship from another country. You could always call one of the wineries there & ask where you can get a hydrometer & other homebrew supplies.
One Google search & I was able to find 5 homebrew shops in South Africa.
http://www.southafrica.co.za/direct.../Food_and_Beverages/Home_Brewing_wine_making/
Regards, GF.

Back