Am I nuts with this hops schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm taking Jamil's Ordinary Bitters recipe and kicking the grain bill just a bit and then throwing in a bunch of flavor/aroma hops.

His OB recipe is right up my alley at around 3.5% and I love the rich malt profile. But I also want the "whoosh" of some nice American hops at the end. This is the first time I'm doing all back-loaded hops (no 60 minute bittering) but I'm still getting a decent 28.1 IBU's.

What do ya think:

Ugly Kettle Pale Ale

Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Boil Size: 13.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Estimated Color: 8.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 28.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 80 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
12.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
1.00 lb Toasted Malt (27.0 SRM)

1.75 oz Galena [13.00%] (15 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (0 min)

1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 156.

Is the hop bill too complex? Do the varieties step on each other? I’m really trying to get a low-bitter, high hop aroma here.

Thoughts?

I don't know that I'd call it a "Bitter" but it sure looks tasty. I think it looks good as far as hop bitter/flavor balance, heavy on the flavor side.

I don't think the hop schedule matters.............you are nuts!! Try it and let us know. I am just wondering if if 15 minutes is enough time to actually get enough AA out of the hops to give the beer the bitterness it needs, even though the calculation comes out to 28 IBUs? Is back loading the hop schedule a tried and true method? I never heard of it , not that that mean @*$% !

Back to my pint of blonde ale - Dirk

I did one late addition brew and it was very good. Just looking at your hops I am wondering if the Fuggles will just get overpowered.

I can't answer if the hops will step on eachother or not but I did just bottle an IPA that had all the hop additions after 20min. I tasted it at bottling and it was really tasty. The only weird thing is there was no bitterness, just flavor and aroma. This could be a good or bad thing... I'll let it condition for a few weeks and we'll see.

Good luck! Looks like a good recipe no matter what :mug:

Looks good to me, BM. Let me know how the higher aa% hops work for you as late additions.

I make all of my APAs and IPAs using Jamil's late hop addition method (getting most of the IBUs from massive flavor and aroma additions) and it works great. I get good bitterness out of it, even in IPAs that need to balance a SG of 1.070. I think your hop mix will work well.

An OB is a good use of this method - let us know how it turns out. With the price of hops these days, it is going to get expensive using this method on IPAs.

1.75 oz Galena [13.00%] (15 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (0 min)

i see no real problem with this hop arrangement. galena is a VERY bitter hop but has citrus undertones to it.

[post_whore]you are nuts, but it has nothing to do with your hops schedule[/post_whore]

But in all honestly my mouth is watering, sounds very tasty for lack of better words that have already been used

Bearcat Brewmeister said:
I make all of my APAs and IPAs using Jamil's late hop addition method (getting most of the IBUs from massive flavor and aroma additions) and it works great. I get good bitterness out of it, even in IPAs that need to balance a SG of 1.070. I think your hop mix will work well.

An OB is a good use of this method - let us know how it turns out. With the price of hops these days, it is going to get expensive using this method on IPAs.

Great looking recipes there.

Maybe I'll add a "pinch" of nugget for a 60 minute boil just to insure some bittering balance.

Well, you are crazy, but it has nothing to do with your hop schedule :D

Seriously, while it may not be a bitter anymore, I think it looks fine since you're a fan of the American hops. Let us know how it turns out.

I'll come help you try it, BM - Even if it's NOT any good! (Everything you touch turns to delicious, though, so it will be fine)

I think you could safely lose the fuggles. It will be completely lost between the cascades and the amarillo - especially with the malty backbone. You could up the galena slightly to get back the IBU count.

I also agree that the Fuggles may just be lost among the other hops. However, I like the idea of it adding some complexity. Maybe you could move it up to a five minute or flameout addition, so it's fresher, or bump the addition up to 1.5 oz.

TL

After taking another look at this I had a thought. If you truly want to experiment with using higher aa% varieties for aroma, maybe replace the Fuggles with more Amarillo. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the results.

Okay, I took a look at my inventory and I have a lot of Nugget and Cascade on hand, so here's a revised schedule for my 11 gallon batch:

1.25 oz Nugget [11.00%] (15 min)
1.00 oz Galena [13.00%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (10 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [7.80%] (1 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [7.80%] (1 min)

Projected IBU's, 28.2 (on a 1.040 OG)

Dry hop with 1/2 ounce of centennial per five gallons.

I don't want a grapefruit dominant flavor. I'm hoping the nugget and Galena combine to give a more complex herbal/floral/spicey tone.

so lets say you are doing a partial mash or extract where you are not doing a full boil, but rather topping off to hit your volume. Would you only need to do a 20min boil with this method or would a full 60 min boil be necessary?

HBDrinker008 said:
so lets say you are doing a partial mash or extract where you are not doing a full boil, but rather topping off to hit your volume. Would you only need to do a 20min boil with this method or would a full 60 min boil be necessary?
Yes, this method will work for stove top cooking.

You’ll need to increase the quantity of hops though since your boiling a shorter period of time and striving for a similar bitterness.

I just did a late-hopped IPA based on information from Jamil's Mr. Malty site. Wow, the hop flavors "pop" way more than with the traditional 60 minute bittering addition. Plus, the bitterness seems smoother and not so harsh. I think you'll enjoy the beer you're brewing, this method really works. I think that my immersion chiller also helped to lock in the hop schedule I used:

1.0 oz Nugget (12%) 30 min.
0.5 oz Simcoe (12%) 20 min.
0.5 oz Cascade (6%) 10 min.
0.5 oz Cascade 0 min.
0.5 oz Simcoe 0 min.

Good Luck!

Back