Am I not using my pH meter correctly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I posted recently about my RO water pH being high. Today I wanted to test my tap water, retest my RO water and check to make sure my pH meter was keeping calibration. I have a MW-102

The real question of this thread is...should I be swirling the probe around until the reading stabilizes or swirl it for a few seconds and then let it sit until it stabilizes.

So here is what I just did...

1) I calibrated to 7.01 by swirling and letting it sit. Took about 5 to 8 seconds.
2) I calibrated to 4.01 and same as above.
3) I rechecked 7.01. It was right on.
4) I rechecked 4.01 and it was right on.
5) I then check my tap water. I swirled it and let it sit. I took about 30 to 40 seconds but finally stabilized around 8.5ish. I then swirled it around again and let it sit. It went up another .4. I did that a few more times until it finally got up to 10.2X (can't remember the exact number). I kept swirling and it was stable. It didn't move up or down. I then let it sit and it stayed right where it was..
6) I retested 4.01 and 7.01 and they were both .01 off.
7) I then tested my RO water and the same thing happened as #5. Would stabilize until I swirled it then stabilized then swirled it. Finally stabilized at 9.3X and didn't move after swirling or letting it rest.
8) I then retested 4.01 and 7.01 for a 3rd time and they were again .01 off.

So why does my pH meter stabilize but then climb when I swirl it and then stabilize again? Is it because I'm testing 4.01 and 7.01 but my water pH was above 10?

It sounds like you're using you pH meter correctly and it's more an issue with your water. I would try measuring the pH of distilled water or a finished beer and see what it reads. I don't use RO water so unfortunately I can't help you with that.

Back