Am I infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Brew

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just taken my gravity reading and all is good with that so I'm ready to dry hop.

My worries is whether I am infected or not? The beer smells nice and fruity but had lots of bubbles sat on top.

Really I should have taken pics before I took my sample as I broke the bubbles up but if y'all could take a look and give a wee bit of advice I would really appreciate it!
IMG_20181201_191824.jpg
IMG_20181201_191818.jpg
IMG_20181201_191813.jpg
IMG_20181201_191807.jpg

There’s nothing at all wrong with your beer. The bubbles are called krausen and they are much thicker during the most active part of fermentation. You can see how high the krausen reached by the line in your bucket above the beer line. It looks like you had an active healthy fermentation.

Haha thanks for the replies guys.

This is my second batch and compared to the first fermentation this was far more active (didn't have nearly the amount of bubbles). So I did a bit of googling which is generally a good thing.. but in this case it was no different to diagnosing a cold myself and having Google tell me I'm going to die in a matter of days!!lol

Maaaan I was thinking it smells too good in that FV to be infected but got myself all paranoid.

I have a Flanders red ale and a Lambic style fermenting/bulk aging, as well as some funky mead and cider aging. My batches of wild ale are still bottle conditioning (where it reformed a pellicle).
They all taste and smell terrific!

Delicious mixed fermentation Brett beers/whatever are not at all difficult to make and commercial examples are difficult to find and generally cost $10-20 USD per bottle. It's a no-brainer.

Update... It most certainly wasn't infected and the brew was bloody brilliant! Everyone who tasted it thought it was great and I didn't get to drink enough of it!ha

Happy days!

Back