Am i infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmy

Reaction score
So i cannot post a picture because i do not own a digital camera, so i will do the best to describe what i am seeing. My beer is in a glass carboy secondary right now. On the top of the beer is this cream/light tan colored sea-foam looking stuff. Now i was originally thinking i raqcked to early and it hadn't fermented all the way out. Its not going away however. In fact it seems to be growing.... Any thoughts???

and before anyone asks, yes i hit my FG and it smells normal i suppose...like oranges and coriander as i think its supposed to...

Sounds like you racked waayy too early, and restarted the yeast. What you're seeing sounds like the kruezen that happens during the initial stages of fermentation. It'll fall when fermentation is nearly over.

But just how early did you transfer?

I racked 2 1/2 weeks after brew day and my fg looked good then. However after racking and a few hours past, i did notice a bubble or 2 on the air lock. it smells like its supposed to i think....never made it before, but no smell of skunk, grass, soap etc. Like a beer i guess...... I guess taste it at bottleing and if it tastes fine then bottle right?

ok, I don't think you racked early.

and I think you're fine...no infection. infections usually look VERY wrong. weird strands of crap floating in the wort that are not break material. fuzzy, mold looking stuff.
and it'll taste/smell "off" or sour.

i think that's just CO2 coming out of solution and foaming a bit. proceed normally.

Back