Am I going to get in trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexbanner

Reaction score
OK, probably not the smartest thing I have done but here goes.

My friend and I went to shoot some guns today. There is a ton of land outside my village that is owned by a preservation foundation that is basically unused and is just a buffer against development. I went there and shot a bunch of rounds with my friend. We were completely safe about it. Far away from any houses, shooting at a dead tree that is against a huge hill and you can see anyone coming from a very long way away. I have shot guns here a bunch of times with friends.

We get in the car to leave and on the way out there are two guys who have shut the gate to the field. I get out and they aren't very happy. They take down my license plate number and are telling me I am firing a gun in an area with children around. (Not true, it's a huge empty field and there was no one around) I calmly told them I was sorry and wouldn't do it again, but they just keep saying "your license plate number is etc-5046" to me over and over. Finally I just moved the gate and left because there was nothing left to say.

These guys aren't from the foundation that owns the land. They are just my neighbors that moved in recently and are a little uptight I guess. They don't own the land. I was perfectly nice to them but they didn't seem to care. There are a bunch of shell casings where we were shooting.

Am I going to get in trouble for this? I know this was kind of a dumb thing to do but I've lived here for 20 years and no one has cared about this before.

I suppose it probably ultimately depends on the law in your area about that sort of thing. There are probably ordinances on file that you can look up to see if you've done wrong.

Was it in city limits?

Owned by a preservation foundation. So it's private property?

- Destin

It is all going to depend on your local laws and I would recommend looking them up and or contacting your local sheriffs office or even local DOW office could probably help you.

The other thing I would mention is that when you are shooting on property that is not your own and not designated for shooting, you should consider picking up your brass when you are done shooting so you are not leaving a mess for someone else to deal with down the road.

Not within a city or town. The law in my area is 1,000 feet away from any residential area, which I was.

Thinking about this more, since there was no sign at worst all I can get is a class 4 misdemeanor trespassing, if even that. It's a $150 fine. I'm cool with that.

I dunno, man. Shooting spots like this have been getting iffy for a long time. Development, ya know. Fear mongering after 9-11 made it worse. High profile mass murderers mucked it up even more.

We used to shoot on gov land and it was fine. It was the spot. On the rare instance the cops did come out there, at most they'd chat us up and move on. Wink and nod. No harm, no foul. That went away years ago, and they were quite clear about it. Signs and checks. You shoot only here, only shotguns and only during these times. Then they gave it all to off roaders. From then on, no meant no.

I wonder why these folks decided to approach yall directly at all. If they wanted the cops out, they could have called them from home. I'd sit it out a few days and then call about it. Just ask all nonchalantly about shooting there.

Even if they call anyone, all they have is your license plate number. They can't prove who you were. Nothing will happen. They were probably just trying to scare you. I wouldn't worry about it.

They probably want to push there anti gun beliefs on you. I would not be surprised if they push this issue and i would be very careful in doing it again.

Even if they call anyone, all they have is your license plate number. They can't prove who you were. Nothing will happen. They were probably just trying to scare you. I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree. If by chance you are ever questioned by the 5-0 just deny that you were even there. Proceed to tell the cop that the person who reported you is mentally unstable.

Not worth the cops time to investigate, especially since the land owner is not the one perusing you.

Anyhow, you will likely never be questioned. Target practice elsewhere.

Here in Florida, first time you would get a warning if the cops were called, second time caught you could be arrested. But only if the actual owners of the property want that to happen. Also fined. Most likely no worries. Hubby loves to catch trespassers on our property, carrying a loaded pistol. He just scares them and they leave and don't come back. We've even scored some weapons this way. At least you got to keep your rifle.

Here in Florida, first time you would get a warning if the cops were called, second time caught you could be arrested. But only if the actual owners of the property want that to happen. Also fined. Most likely no worries. Hubby loves to catch trespassers on our property, carrying a loaded pistol. He just scares them and they leave and don't come back. We've even scored some weapons this way. At least you got to keep your rifle.

That's pretty scummy, gotta say. Treat your fellow man with kindness and respect.

It's there word against ours...except that there's quite a few shells on the ground. I also don't really feel like lying. Haven't been contacted yet so I am probably fine.

Hubby actually ended up turning the rifles over to the police and the guys got them back. :) I didn't hear the whole story but from what I heard the guys were being ********, made hubby mad. Point was, just be careful where you trespass.

Yeah, all will be fine.

Hubby actually ended up turning the rifles over to the police and the guys got them back. :) I didn't hear the whole story but from what I heard the guys were being ********, made hubby mad. Point was, just be careful where you trespass.

Yeah, all will be fine.

Fair enough, if you're on someone's land and they tell you to leave, they've pretty much got you dead to rights and the only thing you should say is "sorry, leaving now."

Just be careful, confrontations with a bunch of guns...well, kinda scary.

They are clearly unstable. They thought it a good idea to begin a confrontation with heavily armed men on private property with no witnesses. Next time I would politely point out their lack of common sense and warn them to be more careful in the future.

They are clearly unstable. They thought it a good idea to begin a confrontation with heavily armed men on private property with no witnesses. Next time I would politely point out their lack of common sense and warn them to be more careful in the future.

No...just, no. Threatening someone, or even making someone feel threatened, is a great way to make the situation worse and actually land yourself in serious, serious trouble. I just tried to be nice even though the guy was incredibly rude. He kept calling me by my license plate number. Like, "oh, looks like etc-0456 is trying to leave." "etc-0456 is going to be in a lot of trouble." He must have called me by my plate number over 20 times. I even said to him "Hey man, my name is Jake. I live in the village." "Ok etc-0456." "Can you try actually treating me like a human being instead of saying my plate number over and over?" "No, etc-0456." It was weird and really annoying.

They were probably pretty scared anyways. Two aging gay guys in polo shirts trying to lock us in when we drove up to the gate, myself and my ex-marine buddy. We are 25 and both pretty big guys, with a car full of guns. They gave up on their little plan pretty quick =)

That's pretty scummy, gotta say. Treat your fellow man with kindness and respect.

It's there word against ours...except that there's quite a few shells on the ground. I also don't really feel like lying. Haven't been contacted yet so I am probably fine.

Where was the kindness and respect shown for the property owner? I would say it is pretty scummy to violate some ones property and go shooting things up.

I own guns and hunt a ton. I also own property and would not have a moments problem tossing anybody off my property who assumed that it was fine to use as if it was theirs.

I treat everyone as if they were carrying a gun because many around here do carry guns. It is not the gun though that should cause a person to have respect but a sense of common decency and morals.

Not knowing Bobbi or her husband but knowing many gun owners and the prevalent mindset of many gun owners I would guess that they would be fine with hunters or shooters as long as they get permission first. I have a range set up that I can shoot targets from a 100 yrds to a full mile away. I have had the police use my range and plenty of complete strangers that have asked me but I have kicked people off who just show up and start shooting.

Man this is a sore spot with me:mad:

Just be careful, confrontations with a bunch of guns...well, kinda scary.

Telling hubby to be careful would be like telling a bear not to crap in the woods. Also, they were actually hunting, had been setting out bait for weeks and hubby was waiting to catch them. They had even put up a hunting stand, which we did keep.

1.) Did you do something stupid? -> Yes
2.) Are you scared? -> Yes
3.) Should you be scared? -> Yes
4.) Did the scare tactics employed by the guys at the gate work? -> Yes
5.) Will you ever shoot guns there again without first clearing it with owners? -> No

You sound like you've never been in trouble before.... Man up, own up and shut up.

Telling hubby to be careful would be like telling a bear not to crap in the woods. Also, they were actually hunting, had been setting out bait for weeks and hubby was waiting to catch them. They had even put up a hunting stand, which we did keep.

Sounds like I would like your Hubby Bobbi. It pisses me off to no end when people think because I have property they can use it

5.) Will you ever shoot guns there again without first clearing it with owners? -> No

You sound like you've never been in trouble before.... Man up, own up and shut up.

Been in trouble plenty of times, thanks. Never said anything contrary to what you just posted, so uhh, thanks for that.

It's one thing to put yourself in harm's way to protect your own land... though I guess we must protect our neighbors too. Probably would have been smarter for them to just call the police.

I'd go back there again, screw those guys they can't do **** to you. Sounds like a couple of anti-gun whack jobs. Don't woprry OP.

It's one thing to put yourself in harm's way to protect your own land... though I guess we must protect our neighbors too. Probably would have been smarter for them to just call the police.

Oh no, I bet they loved every second of that encounter; I know people like this where I live. Some people love nothing more than doing stupid stuff like this. This is no different than tossing paint on fur coats or harassing people who drive SUVs.

6.) Did you read the op? > No, those people weren't the owners, just a couple of self righteous, nosy neighbors.

Oh no, I bet they loved every second of that encounter; I know people like this where I live. Some people love nothing more than doing stupid stuff like this. This is no different than tossing paint on fur coats or harassing people who drive SUVs.

Well what I was doing may have been illegal and I can understand why someone might be concerned. I just live in a rural area and people usually don't care about this. My neighbor used to fire his gun in his back yard and no one cared.

They did seem to enjoy it, though. It's nothing right wing or left wing, it's just a certain type of person. Usually bored, fearful, and has nothing better to do and is incapable of minding their own business. For example, I live on a dirt road that I've driven on 50 million times. In the last couple years, two big housing developments have gone up. Some of the new people drive really slow, and I will sometimes pass them, which is legal to do on the road, and I know where it's safe to do so. Twice, people have then followed me to my house and gotten out of the car to yell at me. One time, it was a woman who was taking her daughter to school. I told her that I am sorry that I scared her, but we are both fine and let's just go on with our lives. She insisted on calling the police and waiting around on my property for an hour for the cops to show up. Meanwhile her daughter is just sitting in her car. I told her "hey you should take your daughter to school and forget about this" but she insisted. Cops told her what I did was legal and she wasn't being smart following someone to their house to confront them.

OP:

Nope, you probably won't get in trouble - like has been said, at best you'd get a trespass charge, but that has to come from the landowner.

That being said, I'd like to kick you in the head. Going onto private property without permission to shoot, using a part of that property (I don't care if it WAS dead tree) and then leaving your brass and shells behind, is just plain not cool, and I don't give a flying ____ where you are or if the locals generally care about it or not. It's crap like that that gives outdoorsmen a bad name.

OP:

Nope, you probably won't get in trouble - like has been said, at best you'd get a trespass charge, but that has to come from the landowner.

That being said, I'd like to kick you in the head. Going onto private property without permission to shoot, using a part of that property (I don't care if it WAS dead tree) and then leaving your brass and shells behind, is just plain not cool, and I don't give a flying ____ where you are or if the locals generally care about it or not. It's crap like that that gives outdoorsmen a bad name.

I hear ya. I only left the brass because these guys were so pissed, I just decided to leave and didn't really think about it. I thought about going back and picking it up but I thought it would be better to not be seen on the property again.

Definitely won't do anything like that again.

Because I am a turd more of less I would call the county making sure it is fine to shoot there and then go back. Hopefully the guys would show up again and then you could call the cops for them.

It is always better to be on the right side and it sounds like both of you were on the wrong side.

OP:

I wouldn't go as far as a head kick but this is something that bothers me quite a bit. My family has property on which we have several small berms set up for shooting at 100, 200, and 500 yards. We regularly allow people to shoot on the property but with two stipulations. Ask for permission before shooting and pick up at least as much as you bring in (We know it is tough to find every piece of brass you drop and some will get left behind).

Well what I was doing may have been illegal and I can understand why someone might be concerned. I just live in a rural area and people usually don't care about this. My neighbor used to fire his gun in his back yard and no one cared.

They did seem to enjoy it, though. It's nothing right wing or left wing, it's just a certain type of person. Usually bored, fearful, and has nothing better to do and is incapable of minding their own business. For example, I live on a dirt road that I've driven on 50 million times. In the last couple years, two big housing developments have gone up. Some of the new people drive really slow, and I will sometimes pass them, which is legal to do on the road, and I know where it's safe to do so. Twice, people have then followed me to my house and gotten out of the car to yell at me. One time, it was a woman who was taking her daughter to school. I told her that I am sorry that I scared her, but we are both fine and let's just go on with our lives. She insisted on calling the police and waiting around on my property for an hour for the cops to show up. Meanwhile her daughter is just sitting in her car. I told her "hey you should take your daughter to school and forget about this" but she insisted. Cops told her what I did was legal and she wasn't being smart following someone to their house to confront them.

I would have pressed charges for trespassing.

I would have pressed charges for trespassing.

That's great, but neither you nor the people who confronted me were the property owners. Also, in my state you have to either post a sign or give someone a warning first, so you couldn't even if you did own the property. So close!

You all are a malicious bunch! It was more or less an accident on OP's part. Nothing happened except for some littering. Maybe OP will rectify that by going back and cleaning up the trash he left + more.

You're probably going to go to jail. They'll deport you. Even if you're not foreign. To a country where you don't speak the language. Like Norway. Then you'll have to serve your time out in a Norwegian prison where they only serve Ikea food. Yes, it's Swedish I realize. But that's part of the punishment.

That's great, but neither you nor the people who confronted me were the property owners. Also, in my state you have to either post a sign or give someone a warning first, so you couldn't even if you did own the property. So close!

I was talking about when the woman followed you to your house and refused to leave after calling the cops.

I was talking about when the woman followed you to your house and refused to leave after calling the cops.

Oh, gotcha. That was just a stupid incident and I really didn't feel like acting like a jerk in front of the woman's young daughter, so I just let her do her thing. Cops told her off anyways.

The other time I passed a car and the guy followed me to my house, things went a bit different. I again apologized and was nice to the dude, and he was a bit angry but seemed to calm down. Then, as he was leaving, he said that if he ever saw me on the road again he was going to get in his car and come "take me out." At that point my switch kinda flipped because no one really appreciates semi-death threats on their front lawn so I told him we were gonna have to throw down now and he bailed. Haven't seen him since.

Back