Am i doomed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigweiser

Reaction score
Must a blow oxygen into my 1.100 wort to avoid off flavors and under attenuation. Or is their hope by just shaking the crap out of it and pitching a 4 liter starter with 2 yeast packs?

We are all doomed, of course, and so is your beer. Even if you didn't drink it, it would surely go bad in some number of decades no matter what the alcohol content. Even if it somehow magically escaped that fate, in another 4-5 billion years the expanding sun would surely melt the bottles and cause all of the beer inside to vaporize. And even if you launched it all into space and it managed to indefinitely avoid all cosmic catastrophes, in some 10^90 years or so it would eventually fade into nothingness as all of the protons gradually decay into their component subatomic particles. Face it: your beer, yourself, and everyone you know are doomed.

Oh, but you meant in the short term. Yeah, I think that's totally fine. Shake it real good though. If you read Palmer, he's sorta skeptical about oxygen injection for the homebrewer, although others have reported good results and even Palmer admits it's an open question. In any case, the point is that some very excellent brewers never blow oxygen into their wort, and their beer comes out just fine. If you pitch a healthy amount and use one of the standard aeration methods, you shouldn't have a major problem.

We are all doomed, of course, and so is your beer. Even if you didn't drink it, it would surely go bad in some number of decades no matter what the alcohol content. Even if it somehow magically escaped that fate, in another 4-5 billion years the expanding sun would surely melt the bottles and cause all of the beer inside to vaporize. And even if you launched it all into space and it managed to indefinitely avoid all cosmic catastrophes, in some 10^90 years or so it would eventually fade into nothingness as all of the protons gradually decay into their component subatomic particles. Face it: your beer, yourself, and everyone you know are doomed.

Yes yes yes. I've had a few responses like this, to mixed reviews, but NEVER at 7:30 AM (usually around midnight).

Yes yes yes. I've had a few responses like this, to mixed reviews, but NEVER at 7:30 AM (usually around midnight).

Wellllll, it's been an interesting day. Saw both a dead body and a few-hours-old baby. (Didn't know I was going to see the newborn, but still... was expecting a pretty existential day)

And now my wort chiller is going to work on a DFH 60 clone! Woo hoo!

Wellllll, it's been an interesting day. Saw both a dead body and a few-hours-old baby. (Didn't know I was going to see the newborn, but still... was expecting a pretty existential day)

And now my wort chiller is going to work on a DFH 60 clone! Woo hoo!

Welcome to a day in the life of jd3.

Back