Am I done or stuck?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on what (if anything) to do. I brewed a 2.5-gallon batch:

4 lbs. Maris Otter (Warminster)
1 lb Munich (Briess)
0.5 lb. Opal 44 (Mecca Grade)
0.25 lb. Midnight Wheat (Briess)
1 lb. flaked barley

Mashed at ~150 F for 60 minutes, and pitched a full packet of Safale K-97.

OG was 1.066 (measured by refractometer and Tilt), and it's been fermenting for two weeks at 58 F (ambient). For the last week, it's been rock-steady at 1.020 (measured by Tilt, and confirmed with refractometer+correction).

Am I done or stuck? The internet says that K-97 is relatively low attenuation, but this seems a bit much. I have packets of US-05 I could pitch in.

Thanks in advance for advice, help, or commiseration.

I think you’re done.

You’ve taken out 46 gravity points (66-20=46). That’s 70% attenuation (46/66=.696969). You can give it a few more days, but I doubt you’ll see any change. I wouldn’t pitch more yeast. With a full packet in a small batch you started out with plenty.

Verify with a hydrometer if you have one. Tilt can give incorrect readings if some gunk has accumulated on them. I know you used refractometer with correction but a hydrometer would verify all.

I believe I just got my first stuck batch as well.. This was the one I was most looking forward to :( Right after this batch I had started using a stir plate and starter, rather unfortunate timing.

Thanks for the encouragement. Following up to say that I followed the "it's done, leave it alone" advice. It was terrible right out of the fermenter, and I was sure I was going to have to dump it.

Today I pulled my first pint from the keg and it was really quite good -- there's some residual sweetness, but it's well balanced by hops.

What do they say ... relax, don't worry ...

I realize it's a bit late, but the temperature range for that yeast is 59 to 68F. At 58, I would expect it to ferment slowly. Next time you use it, try fermenting at a temperature in the mid 60s.

Back