Am I doing enough to sanitize??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MediaMikes

Reaction score
I haven't brewed with my equipment in a long time. Needless to say I slacked off and didn't clean my equipment that well that last time I used it before I stored it. SWMBO had some doing in that one. Well she has agreed to let me start brewing again (misses the cream ale), so I am trying to get my equipment up to above par for the process again. I have everything soaking in water with oxyclean and then plan on soaking it in Star San after that. Is that enough or should I take other measures? I ordered 6 extract kits to get back in the game, but don't want to ruin any because of poor sanitation?

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

:ban:

Oxyclean is amazing at removing all contaminants. However, I would start out with new tubing. Why not really? Keep the carboys get new racking hoses.

Thanks, I ordered 6ft of new tubing, racking cane, hydometer (broke the last one), auto-siphon and 2 more cases of bottles. I figure I will leave the water in the carboys for one more day and then empy and soak in star-san for a day. Hopefully that will take care of anything.

Ya , a good soak in oxyclean, or similar for a few hours then a good scrubbing works great for cleaning. As for sanitizing, when using starsan, you don't really need to drag out the process. A few minutes will do you. Remember: Bubbles are your friend(s)/

Back