Am I Completley Screwed?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanS

Reaction score
Just finished brewing a belgian white, cooled the wort and pitched the yeast and all that jazz, as I was putting in the rubber stopper in my carboy it popped through and sunk. Can i Leave it there with no affects on flavor, fermentation, etc. or do I need to get it out. It was 150% sanitized when it fell in, I just don't know what to do this has never happened to me before. am I screwed???

Leave it. Welcome to the club!!!!!!! I think my very first post here on the forum was the same- except I used a bucket, so it was a rubber grommet, not a rubber bung. I bought an extra grommet after that, and it never happened again! But yes- wet bung, wet carboy neck- POP! In it goes.

It's fine. Put on another and stick on the airlock and it'll be great.

When your beer is done, ask me how to get it out! I have a great video clip.

Well, not even trying to get into a discussion about how anything can be 150% of anything, if it was sanitized, then leave it and relaxe. If it WAS NOT sanitized, you already contaminated the batch anyway, so leave it and relaxe. Just let the beer ferment, and taste it when it is done.

One side thought, that will never happen with a carboy cap...

I'd be interested to hear what people have to say about this one too. When I did my very first batch (oatmeal stout) I pushed the airlock through the hole in the bucket lid and the gromet from the hole dropped in. I couldn't fish it out either. The beer still tastes syrupy, but not disgusting like folks tell me an infected beer would.

Ok, i had a VERY similar issue just less than 30 mins ago. When i went to go poke my air lock in the rubber grommet poked through. I had no mean of plugging the hole and had no luck fishing it out with the 3 foot spatula. So i lathered up my arm with some anti baterial soap 3 times and washed it off till i was positive that all the soap was gone. . . I got the rubber thingy out though. Hopefully this doesn't affect the beer i'm pretty confident that my are was pretty clean but you never know. Anyone think that i'll have any issues?

As i read in another thread if you thing you might have ruined your beer you probally going to be ok.

that's a cork and wine bottle, but it's the same principle. Or, you could try a coat hanger but that's a bit PITA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back