Am I a beer snob already?? LOL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowelldw

Reaction score
I was at my sons on Easter and he had a new keg of Busch lite beer on tap. I had a glass and I asked him what kind it was?? When he told me I said it "tasted kind of skunky"!!

He didn't say much but I knew he was thinking I was becoming a "beer snob" since I started to drink good beer...aka ...my homebrew.

I'm only 4 batches in to this great hobby but really like where it has taken me!!:mug:

There's nothing wrong with not liking awful beer like that. I do my best to not force my opinions on others though, and to offer them some of my easier drinking options to hopefully open them to craft beers.

Funny you mentioned Busch Lite!!! Last Thanksgiving the in-laws came to our house. One of my brother-in-laws left about 12 cans of Busch Lite in my fridge. It sat there for 5 months. I couldn't bring myself to throw it out...hoping someone would drink it. Last week I needed room in the fridge for a couple lagers I'm making. It felt kind of weird, but I threw the Busch Lite in the trash!!! I don't ever remember throwing beer away, but I just can't drink that crap!!! Just between me and everyone on this forum.....Yeah, Im turning into a beer snob!!! But, I would never tell anyone what to drink or ridicule them. If you think Budweiser is the pinnacle of brewing beer...good for you. Drink whatever you want!!! And I'll drink whatever I like!!!

Funny you mentioned Busch Lite!!! Last Thanksgiving the in-laws came to our house. One of my brother-in-laws left about 12 cans of Busch Lite in my fridge. It sat there for 5 months. I couldn't bring myself to throw it out...hoping someone would drink it. Last week I needed room in the fridge for a couple lagers I'm making. It felt kind of weird, but I threw the Busch Lite in the trash!!! I don't ever remember throwing beer away, but I just can't drink that crap!!!

Don't throw it out. Use it for cooking or serve it to your brother-in-law when he comes over next Thanksgiving.

Don't throw it out. Use it for cooking or serve it to your brother-in-law when he comes over next Thanksgiving.

Leave it outside in the hot sun all summer long, then a couple of days before the next time your BIL comes round stick it back in the fridge so you can offer him a Busch - when he says it taste like crap offer him a homebrew instead and see if he likes it :D

I had a Bud Light for the first time in maybe 5-6 years, and just yesterday had a few Coronas that the new neighbor offered.

I'll take it if it's offered (and there's nothing else), but I'll never buy it.

Leave it outside in the hot sun all summer long, then a couple of days before the next time your BIL comes round stick it back in the fridge so you can offer him a Busch - when he says it taste like crap offer him a homebrew instead and see if he likes it :D

Or he'll drink it and think it's completely fine and then you'll know he's too far gone.

- ISM NRP

"Beer snob" is just a term for the ignorant. Once anyone has actually tried to get into beer they'll realize the only thing beer like busch lite is good for is college parties.

I'd know, I threw a college party the other week. But even then I "stepped it up" to PBR :tank:

"Beer snob" is just a term for the ignorant. Once anyone has actually tried to get into beer they'll realize the only thing beer like busch lite is good for is college parties.

This makes you sound like a beer snob.

Why is one style of beer more legitimate than another? If you like IPAs and I like Oktoberfests, are you better than me or am I better than you? Or do we somehow tie because BJCP style 3 is in some way equivalent to BJCP style 14? How is either one better in every way than style 1?

It's called an opinion. Live and let live. The fact that it's YOUR point of view doesn't make it the RIGHT point of view. (And this little rant is not directed specifically at you, Paradigm; it's really directed at anyone who is "better" than someone else because of a preference.)

For the record, I think light American lagers (generally) taste like $h!+, but I'm not going to ridicule someone for his preferences.

Sorry...I see it a lot from people who aren't kidding. Forums tend to make these misunderstandings more common.

I should mention I am equally disappointed in many (specifically my inlaws) who insist on referring to my beer as "that weird ****." I'm not even talking homebrew...they're afraid of Sam Adams.

Sorry again.

Anhauser-Busch beer is terrible. Next to no flavor and it must have fusel alcohols because its the only beer that gives me a headache

I feel that typical American mega-brews are nice and light and refreshing when I need to hydrate during my 3+ hour grass cutting sessions (cutting an acre with a walk-behind mower, figure it's exercise I can't skip ;) ).... no way I could stomach a heavier beer or, heavens to Murgatroid, one of my meads....nah, there's a time and place and person(s) for everything. I love great beer, love mead...I appreciate a cold "light" beer on a hot grass-cuttin' day. No big deal...

I became one after a friend of mine bought me a Bells 2 Hearted, prior to that I had only drank Bud, Miller, Yuengling, and Guinness. My immediate thought was "beer can taste like this?". After that I started trying out new stuff whenever I can, rarely I will drink a Yuengling but I refuse to touch the others.

My dad loves Bud Light and hates IPAs. I prefer high ABV, high flavor beers like Quadrupels. I find Kolsch's to be kind of flavorless and sometimes a good American Lager is the most refreshing thing in the world. Beer is beer and people have their tastes.

But there is a reason Busch Lite is $50 for a half barrel.

I feel that typical American mega-brews are nice and light and refreshing when I need to hydrate during my 3+ hour grass cutting sessions (cutting an acre with a walk-behind mower, figure it's exercise I can't skip ;) ).... no way I could stomach a heavier beer or, heavens to Murgatroid, one of my meads....nah, there's a time and place and person(s) for everything. I love great beer, love mead...I appreciate a cold "light" beer on a hot grass-cuttin' day. No big deal...

I bottled what I am calling "lawnmower bitter" about a week ago for this very scenario. I wanted something with a low ABV so I don't do something stoopid like sticking a body part in the blades. Bonus: The extract kit was on sale so I paid about $20. That makes it cheaper than BMC swill :rockin:

Keep the beer - it's a good excuse to have a BBQ, then boil some bratwurst in it (I usually use olde e to boil my brats) then you get to show off your homebrew!

I'm a home brew/craft beer guy all the way but I have to say there is nothing more refreshing than a Summer Shandy while still in a flop sweat right after cutting the grass! In the summer I always keep an ice cold sixer in an old dorm fridge in the garage ready to roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sorry...I see it a lot from people who aren't kidding. Forums tend to make these misunderstandings more common.

I should mention I am equally disappointed in many (specifically my inlaws) who insist on referring to my beer as "that weird ****." I'm not even talking homebrew...they're afraid of Sam Adams.

Sorry again.

Go here - read this.
http://www.stonebrew.com/arrogantbastard/
Basically insult their taste, and enjoy your weird brews.

I would have used it for beercan chicken...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back