Always Trying New Things

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tekknoschtev

Reaction score
This hobby is amazing. I always seem to find something new and interesting to do with this hobby. I started with extract kits, like many do, and quickly became bored with it. Perhaps bored isn't the word, but I wasn't saving money with the kits i was buying, and I wasn't getting the high quality beer that some coworkers of mine were cranking out. Not that extract = lesser quality beer, but I jumped to all grain after a few extract batches just for kicks. BIAB is my style now, and I even wound up buying a grain mill.

Oh, and I pieced together a 4-tap keg fridge, with drip tray, bottle opener, the works. The top freezer is fully of frosty mugs and other various glasses. Its a very satisfying feeling getting home from work, grabbing a frosty glass, pouring a pint and relaxing. I've had to watch my intake though - having 4 kegs of beer on hand at all times has caused a very strange growth in my gut. The desk job doesn't help that any either :p

But, there always seems to be something more. For my birthday, my sister bought me a 1" stir bar. Tonight, I ran out to The Shack, and picked up a potentimeter, switch, and project box. I cannibalized a CPU fan from an old dual processor machine, clipped the end of a spare power adapter, and stole magnets out of a 2.16GB drive I had laying around (yeah... 2.16GB. I need to get rid of a lot of junk).

So, right now I've got my first starter on a stir plate spinning up. It feels so much more "real" than just having it sit in the flask on the counter and shaking it every time I walk by. Total cost is somewhere around $8, since my sister bought the stir bar and the fan, wall wort power adapter, and magnets were free.

All this for the 10 gallons of Yooper's DFH 60 clone I intend to brew this Saturday. That reminds me... I should start grinding now, because its going to be a lot of grain to grind by hand on the corona mill. I have full intentions of attaching a sprocket to the mill and hooking up an old scrap bike I have laying around to it, for exercise (remember that mystery gut I've been growing?).

:ban: I love this hobby!

Amen brother. But get those mugs outta the freezer. Ice cold beer is for BMC only!

Aye, that's the truth, though in my case it serves the purpose of satisfying my BMC drinking friends (are they still actually called "friends" at that point), and it helps keep my beer cooler longer in this un-airconditioned house during the summer.

It definitely is interesting to see how the beer flavor changes as it warms a bit.

Back