Aluminum stock pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewScout

Reaction score
I used a brand new (never been used) aluminum stock put to boil tap water. Chilled the water to use for top off water. Is there gonna be an issue considering I did not build up a layer of oxide first? I already put it in the wort and it is happily fermenting away.

BrewScout said:
I used a brand new (never been used) aluminum stock put to boil tap water. Chilled the water to use for top off water. Is there gonna be an issue considering I did not build up a layer of oxide first? I already put it in the wort and it is happily fermenting away.

Probably not. Since it was just water it had a neutral PH. Typically you only get off flavors if the liquid is acidic and you add heat.

On a similar note, if I need to give my aluminium pot a good scrub (or use PBW) do I need to creat a new oxidised later?

Do not use PBW on this pot. Warm soapy water is more than adequate. Remember this is where you boil, there is no reason to fear bugs in your pot as long as you get all the debris cleaned out.

You'll read about Oxyclean in posts as well. Don't use it on an Al pot. A good scrub, if necessary, with a plastic (non-abrasive) pad and water works well. As 'bbrim' said.. fear no bacteria in your pot. Boiling water in the wort creation kill all.

I do not use any cleaners at all in my kettle, I use a medium soft 3M type pad (one of those kitchen sponge/scrubbie things) and gently scrub. I used my kettle one time to clean bottles (oxyclean free) and my next batch had a pronounced metallic taste!

You'll read about Oxyclean in posts as well. Don't use it on an Al pot. A good scrub, if necessary, with a plastic (non-abrasive) pad and water works well. As 'bbrim' said.. fear no bacteria in your pot. Boiling water in the wort creation kill all.

so if i use a non-abrasive pad (or soft cloth with warm water) do I need to re-oxicide the surface?

so if i use a non-abrasive pad (or soft cloth with warm water) do I need to re-oxicide the surface?

no. the layer is visible...if you scrub it off, you'll be able to see that's it's gone.

I use an aluminum pot as well. Warm soapy water and a soft sponge is all it gets...accept for my one scorched extract incident.:mad: If you must scour then just throw it in the oven at 400* for 20 minutes and you are good to go again. No PBW, Oxy, or Starsan.

I wanted to post a recent e-mail exchange (today in fact) between John Palmer and I on this exact subject. For the record, I've used oxyclean (with no ill effects that I can tell), and have also done the no cleaner/soft scrub on my aluminum turkey fryer pot. Given the conflicting info, I was curious to get an expert's opinion. See below. John's respone is first, my question afterward.

Hi Mark,
It's okay to use them to remove protein, but they may darken the aluminum a bit, especially if it soaks for a long period. You dont really want a dark gray aluminum, because there is a greater risk of that aluminum being dissolved in the next batch. So, after soaking with PBW or Oxiclean, buff the inside with plain water and a kitchen scrubby to take off any loose oxide that occured.
Cheers,
John

On Apr 30, 2012, at 11:28 AM, Mark wrote:

Hi Mr. Palmer,

I know you're a busy guy, so I'll make this quick. How To Brew, 3rd. edition, mentions using percarbonate cleaners to clean aluminum. I believe Oxyclean (also PBW) are percarbonate cleaners. Is it ok to use them on an aluminum brew kettle, will it remove the protective layer of oxidation? I'm asking because I seem to find conflicting information on this.

Back