Aluminum stock pot for mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goswell

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting an aluminum stock pot to use as a mashtun. Does anybody do the same? How is heat retention? Where is the best deal?

aluminum will lose heat more quickly than SS...you'll need either some serious insulation or a RIMS or HERMS setup...why not just go with a cooler? will probably be cheaper, definitely easier and better insulated.

I have a 2 10 gallon kettles/mash tuns/boil kettles. One each SS/alum. I have been using both for at least 6 years (aluminum for about 10) with no problems. The aluminum pot does take longer to heat to a boil, but if you are using both for a mash tun, as I have over the years, applying a little heat now and again isn't that big of a deal. The aluminum pot will need more attention to maintain the correct temp. I would buy either pot again. Aluminum is definitely cheaper and I haven't noticed any taste differences between either pot.

I have a 7.5 gallon aluminum stock pot that I have done a few mashes in. I made an wrapper out of automotive firewall insulation that fits snugly around the pot and really helps it maintain temps throughout the mash. I also usually throw a couple towels/blankets on top during the mash as a bit of extra insulation.

I don't know what to tell you about where to find one. Mine was originally a tamale pot that I got at a local place on sale for cheap. I then drilled a hole in it and added a SS braid & valve.

I'm thinking electric heating pad from Target, R-19 wrap.

You could always weld a pot in a pot and evacuate for insulation..!

I'm thinking electric heating pad from Target, R-19 wrap.

You could always weld a pot in a pot and evacuate for insulation..!

The local winco has 40qt aluminum kettles on sale for 30 bucks or so...

You could do the pot in a pot theory, and use expanding foam as insulation between them.. one can would probably be plenty...

Heck for that matter, you could just build a box and use the foam in that with a kettle inside.. or make a cylinder out of sheet metal or masonitethat is slightly larger than the kettle and fill that with the foam..

All sorts of ways.. but just buying a cooler is probably cheaper and easier..

Just ordered a 58 qt marine cooler from coleman for 50 bucks including shipping.. Wal Mart has even better deals... And I can still use the cooler as a cooler for my boat when it's not being used as a mash tun... They even have an optional snap on seat cushion for the thing...

Back