Aluminum pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creepersale

Reaction score
Found another used pot, a nice 10 gallon. But pretty sure it's aluminum , whats the take on using aluminum for your boil kettle, or for mashing purposes. Mainly wondering about boiling my full wort boil. And if any danger in ruining a batch or if it's depends personal preference ?

Nothing at all wrong with using an aluminum pot. Clean it with a mild detergent, with a soft sponge. Been using Aluminum pots for a long time. with the money spent on SS, I can buy alot of much more useful equipment.

Aluminum is just fine for brewing kettles. The whole ruin your beer, or have any impact on the beer is a myth. The only benefit stainless has is in long term durability, but I'd have to replace my aluminum pot something like six plus times to make it cost the same.

I used an aluminum pot for a long time. Never had any flavor issues from it. Some people recommend boiling water in it before it's first use.

No danger of ruining a batch. I would recommend boiling a batch of water before using it for beer, though.

I boil water for about 2 hrs and but it on the oven for like 4 hrs to build oxidation layer. Might not be as pretty as SS but gets the job done

Boil water in it before you use it to "season" it. Been using an aluminum pot for several years, the only reason it is being retired is I need a larger pot to do BIAB AG brewing.

Ok great. Just what I was wondering. I'm going to use the you know what out of it !! Haha thanks alot. And also was worried about weird flavors or off flavors glad you said that. Something I forgot to put in original post.

Cheers!!!

Aluminum is a reactive metal and CAN impart off flavors that's why stainless is preferred. Oxidized aluminum prevents this but with a bk if you have to scrub it hard to get the burnt stuff off the bottom you'll remove that oxidation making it reactive for the next batch unless you "re season" it. If its all you can afford tho it'll still make some good beer but if you have the cash stainless is best. There's a reason all the best cookware in kitchens is stainless and not just durability. Just try not to remove that grey oxidation layer when you clean it.

Don't use stuff like oxyclean when u clean it also don't use anything that will scratch it. Use a fist sponge and a light soap. You wanna keep the grey film on it as much as possible. I learned the hard way. So take your time oxidizing the kettle

I've been using aluminum for all brewing needs for about 10 years, as well as stainless. I can't tell a difference between the brews with each pot. I've made the same batch in each pot and they turned out the same.

I clean both of my pots with a mild soap after brewing, let them air-dry, and put them away.

Also, unless you are on a budget, you can buy a stainless steel kettle and not worry about these little details forever. Then you would have a great pot without worries.

I use my stainless steel pot for beer and chicken stock and I love it.

Aluminum sucks! I ingest as little as possible. The only thing aluminum is good for is collecting aluminum cans and using the money to buy stainless!!!

Aluminum for years here. Season and you are gtg. Cleaning after the boil, a little mild detergent and scrubbing hard with a sponge has proven effective for me. I suppose you could get burnt cr@p on the bottom, but the same as stainless, because you didn't stir. I rarely have burnt 'leavings' on the bottom.

Aluminum sucks! I ingest as little as possible. The only thing aluminum is good for is collecting aluminum cans and using the money to buy stainless!!!

There is no reason at all for this person to have a comment. Aluminum is just fine. It sucks that some people with no knowledge try to scare or intimidate first timers with their rhetoric.

annasdadhockey said:
There is no reason at all for this person to have a comment. Aluminum is just fine. It sucks that some people with no knowledge try to scare or intimidate first timers with their rhetoric.

+ 1. b d

Aluminum, No Good! RESEARCH! The net is alive. What is a forum if you restrict opinion, friend?

Aluminum, No Good! RESEARCH! The net is alive. What is a forum if you restrict opinion, friend?

You are more than entitled to your opinion, my good man. But opinions without fact and proof and experience to back them are basically useless. Have you brewed with aluminum? How did it turn out? We need answers, not just opinion.

You are more than entitled to your opinion, my good man. But opinions without fact and proof and experience to back them are basically useless. Have you brewed with aluminum? How did it turn out? We need answers, not just opinion.

Fair enough. I probably am not quite as ignorant as you might think. That said. My post is an opinion of ingesting aluminum in any form. I am not going to spend time trying to convince anyone about the ill effects of aluminum in the body. It is an opinion based in research that anyone on this forum could, with due diligence, do. If aluminum negatively effects the outcome, taste or integrity of a brew, to that I know not. All I am saying is spend a little extra for a better, healthier medium of processing. This is opinion! You are the one that states I should not be allowed to express this. Who is the extreme one?

Fair enough. I probably am not quite as ignorant as you might think. That said. My post is an opinion of ingesting aluminum in any form. I am not going to spend time trying to convince anyone about the ill effects of aluminum in the body. It is an opinion based in research that anyone on this forum could, with due diligence, do. If aluminum negatively effects the outcome, taste or integrity of a brew, to that I know not. All I am saying is spend a little extra for a better, healthier medium of processing. This is opinion! You are the one that states I should not be allowed to express this. Who is the extreme one?

Once again, you are entitlted to your OPINION. As far as "who is the extreme one"?, brother, lay off the pipe. I'm just saying, if you haven't used aluminum to brew with, then your opinions are at best an educated? guess based on what you read on the internet. And we know that everything we read on the internet is true. Including this post.

Of course ingesting aluminum is bad. After you season an aluminum pot there is little reason to worry about that though unless you scratch off the oxidized layer.

I would actually be somewhat surprised if there is not anyone else that has, in general, a similar opinion of aluminum on this forum. Obviously, I am debating a a well established member. For you, I say use all the aluminum you want! It does not offend me in the least. Nor will I try to scare you out of it!

To CBR250, I'm not saying you're wrong here, but cite some examples as to the research you have done. That way, people can make informed decisions and form there own opinions as to what they want to do. I have used aluminum pots for about 3 1/2 years and haven't had any issues. Maybe in 40 years I will grow a third nipple and start to wonder, but until then, I say aluminum is fine by me.

Of course ingesting aluminum is bad. After you season an aluminum pot there is little reason to worry about that though unless you scratch off the oxidized layer.

^this^

People have been cooking with aluminum for a very long time!

We even drink beer from aluminum cans for goodness sake!

I would actually be somewhat surprised if there is not anyone else that has, in general, a similar opinion of aluminum on this forum. Obviously, I am debating a a well established member. For you, I say use all the aluminum you want! It does not offend me in the least. Nor will I try to scare you out of it!

For the record, the length of time of my establishment gives me neither credibility nor respect in the brewing community.

To CBR250, I'm not saying you're wrong here, but cite some examples as to the research you have done. That way, people can make informed decisions and form there own opinions as to what they want to do. I have used aluminum pots for about 3 1/2 years and haven't had any issues. Maybe in 40 years I will grow a third nipple and start to wonder, but until then, I say aluminum is fine by me.

Look, I am in the process of starting a health product company. In some ways I am a kind of an extreme guy. I like a "good buzz" with a high quality beer(home brewing). I like to enjoy life. I am a lifelong student. This is not a five minute, obnoxious opinion based in "how to start a ruckus". It is something I do, and recommend to friends. The information is everywhere. If the individual who started this thread wants different opinions and inputs, this is mine. I really don't intend to cause fear or chaos. Look at my thread on Summer Vibe:fro:. Do as you will. Thank you for allowing my opinion.

Look, I am in the process of starting a health product company. In some ways I am a kind of an extreme guy. I like a "good buzz" with a high quality beer(home brewing). I like to enjoy life. I am a lifelong student. This is not a five minute, obnoxious opinion based in "how to start a ruckus". It is something I do, and recommend to friends. The information is everywhere. If the individual who started this thread wants different opinions and inputs, this is mine. I really don't intend to cause fear or chaos. Look at my thread on Summer Vibe:fro:. Do as you will. Thank you for allowing my opinion.

Best of luck to you, my homebrewing friend, on your future endeavours. I know your heart is in the right place. Your opinion is always welcomed here.

annasdadhockey said:
best of luck to you, my homebrewing friend, on your future endeavours. I know your heart is in the right place. Your opinion is always welcomed here.

aa ++

CBR250 said:
Make sure you spray your aluminum with asbestos first! :D:drunk::D

I'm not to worried ailments and side affects. I'm sure OBAMA will help !! :D

As he will help your new business !!! : D cheers :D ----

Back