Aluminum pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joon75

Reaction score
I'm ready to start all grain, but I only have a 5 gallon SS pot. I know I need at least a 8 gallon. Right now I can't afford a SS pot. Would it be okay to use a aluminum pot in the meantime? Would it affect the taste of the beer? What are the pros and cons? Thanks!

Aluminum pots are fine and do not alter the flavor. You should boil water in it for at least 30 minutes before use (and then throw the water out). This creates an oxidized layer -- you will see the discoloration. When you clean the pot don't use chemicals or you will have to repeat this step.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless you have a propane burner already, the turkey fryers are usually pretty inexpensive. While they are only 7 1/2 gallons, I've beer making 5 gallon batches in mine for a couple years. You do have to watch closely as you come to the boil or the hot break will spill over and you have to watch how hard you boil or you will boil off too much.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CHKL68/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

$47.53

4137YLp%2B0xL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When you mean chemicals are you talking about PBW and Starsan? Should I just use dish detergent?

Thanks everyone for the recommendations and the advice.

I've got a 40qt aluminum pot like the one posted previously. I have had 5 gallon batches boil over, so I would not recommend going any smaller than that. Boil water the first time to get the oxide layer. When cleaning I just use water and a soft sponge, never soap or cleaner of any kind. Don't scrub too hard or you'll take off the oxide layer and have to boil or bake it again.

I prefer aluminum because:
- light weight
- inexpensive
- conducts heat very well (heats up and cools quicker than stainless)
- super easy to drill for weldless fittings

I don't think I'll ever "upgrade" to an SS kettle.

I found a 50qt aluminum pot for $30 and I'm just so anxious to do all grain. I think I'm going to purchase the pot and brew this weekend. Thanks everyone. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!

You don't want it to be sparkling clean, and everything that goes in gets boiled anyway so there no real reason to use cleaning supplies at all. Just loosen the gunk with warm water and wipe it away with a soft rag or sponge.

Don't worry too much about the oxide layer. It is not as big a deal as made out to be here. I'm pretty sure that restaurants don't concern themselves with it.

If you use it as a boil kettle it doesn't have to be sanitized or really even that clean. You don't need to use any cleaner other than water. When you are done boiling your wort, rinse it off and scrub any gunk off of it. If you clean it before anything dries hard to the kettle you can just use a wet rag. I use a nylon pad sometimes. Then just rinse it off an put it away until next time.

I use an 8 gallon pot and wish it was 10 gallons. No regrets, I got it cheap for experimentation, like cutting fitting holes and so on. The thick Winware 10 gal is a good deal.

If you add fittings to an AL pot, I think you are limited to weldless fittings - kind of hard to weld SS fittings to AL, and you can't braze with brass because of the electrolytic reaction with the Al. Another decision to make.

Back