Aluminum mesh/screen safe for boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollisBT

Reaction score
Am working on building a hop filter for my kettle, and I was wondering if using an aluminum mesh as opposed to a stainless steel mesh would present any problems. I would assume not, but wanted to get opinions and input first.

Also, I am assuming that traditional window screen from the hardware store has a coating on it that I wouldn't want in my beer, can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thank for any input.

Immersing aluminum mesh in boiling, low pH wort probably isn't a great idea...

Cheers!

So what about my aluminum pot??? :)
Anyway, I would think aluminum screen would be fine. I also thought of using the screen for a hop/trub filter in the aluminum BK, but the only stuff available at the local Menards-Lowel-HomeDepot has some sort of coating on them.

tom

If it's bright aluminum, you'll want to condition it before you use it for the first time. This will build up an oxide layer on the aluminum protecting it from the wort acidity as well as the wort from the aluminum.

This layer is why aluminum pots are safe to use for brewing. Just be sure that you don't remove the layer between batches, or you'll need to build it up again.

You can create the layer, for the first time, by completely submerging the aluminum item(s) in water and then boiling it for 30-60 minutes (hard boil if you can). If you don't see it turn at least a dark grey color, you can give it more time. I would stop at 90 minutes though.

I know someone will say that you can do this in the oven as well. I've not had any success conditioning any aluminum items inside an oven. Boiling works 100% of the time, oven attempts fail 100% of the time (for me).

BTW, the oxide layer prevents corrosion too, so that's no fear at all. It's one of the reasons you can make pasta (red) sauce in conditioned aluminum pots for decades (in restaurants) without issue.

Golddiggie said:
If it's bright aluminum, you'll want to condition it before you use it for the first time. This will build up an oxide layer on the aluminum protecting it from the wort acidity as well as the wort from the aluminum.

This layer is why aluminum pots are safe to use for brewing. Just be sure that you don't remove the layer between batches, or you'll need to build it up again.

You can create the layer, for the first time, by completely submerging the aluminum item(s) in water and then boiling it for 30-60 minutes (hard boil if you can).

Ok so how do you avoid removing oxidation layer?

Ok so how do you avoid removing oxidation layer?

Easy... Don't scrub the hell out of it. Use mild cleaners and just enough elbow grease to get anything stuck on it off. Leave the dark coating inside the pot alone. It's pretty hard stuff, so use a wet sponge/towel to clean the pot and you'll be fine. IF you must scrub, just be careful to not go too far.

Hmmm, so somewhat mixed answers... Can anyone attest that screen from lowes/home depot has a coating in it?

I actually went back and looked at McMaster's website again, and it looks like the SS mesh is actually cheaper than aluminum? So maybe I should have started my search there... Now I just need to work on a design...

Back