Aluminum HLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battery_BreweryNJ

Reaction score
I have a 10 gallon aluminum pot that I want to make into a HLT. Is this a good idea? I know all the dislikes about aluminum , but will it effect the water? I tired doing a search but all that came up is stuff about boil pots.
Thanks

Yep, it will work out great. I've used one for several users now. It's a very sturdy material, and a lot easier to drill than stainless.

If you have a shiny new pot just make sure to boil some water in it the first time to build up the passive oxide layer. If you don't you could get some metallic off-flavors in the first brew, they won't hurt you though.

+1 on all of the above. There are a ton of aluminum threads on this site...

I'm all aluminum 2 25 gallons alum pots for HLT and BK and then a 20 gal mounted inside a 30 and insulated in between for my MT.

They're all-good. Chics dig 'em too.

Whatta ya wanna know?

It seems to work really well although the rig is just very recently completed.

I basically took a small wooden block as a spacer, placed it in the bottom of a 30 gallon pot, placed the 20 gallon pot in the 30 so that the space all around it was equal to the 30 and then a little at a time I used expandable spray foam insulation to spray in between the two and insulate the 20 gallon pot really well.

It looks pretty nice to (at least I think it does).

I'll track down a pic.

Back