aluminum false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamk222

Reaction score
ok i dont use aluminum pots.but the other day at home depot i found a large sheet of aluminum with thousands of tiny holes in it that would fit perfectly in my cooler mash tun.what do you guys think?

sweet i think it should work great pluss im going to leave my ss steel braid under it.

Bobby_M said:
Are you having problems with your braid? Why use both?

From the experiences of others that I have read about on this site and other boards, adding a false bottom will only increase your problems sparging. If you have trouble with a braid, perhaps you need to look at other aspects of your brew (e.g., perhaps you are over-crushing).

Or maybe there is some other reason unrelated to sparging?

Adam, what kind of cooler are you using, and could you post a pic of the alluminum you are getting? I have been looking at adding a false bottom to my MLT for awhile now and haven't found anything to do it with. thanks

Cheers

If you really want a false bottom, you could source some perforated stainless sheet from Mcmaster.com or other places. If you have access to a shop, you could use a brake to put short sidewalls on it to create a cookie sheet shape. Otherwise you'll have to use something as standoffs.

Bobby_M said:
If you really want a false bottom, you could source some perforated stainless sheet from Mcmaster.com or other places. If you have access to a shop, you could use a brake to put short sidewalls on it to create a cookie sheet shape. Otherwise you'll have to use something as standoffs.

Take a rubber mallet and 2 1x2" pine boards. Clamp the pine boards together with the metal in between with about an inch and a half overhang.

Beat down the metal edges with the mallet. Presto! You have bent sheet metal. It won't be pretty, but it's as easy as pie and if you measure each side prior to bending, consistent results can be attained on all 4 sides

Back