Aluminum Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know someone who works at a Busch owned park and I managed to get about 150 of these bottles to try out. The plan was to use them when I'm at the beach or out on a boat. I also used them to ship to a friend in San Jose, CA. They work very well for all that. I've also left a couple in the fridge for over a month and everything tastes great.

I ended up getting a bench capper for them and they cap great.

i use these bottles quite a bit. apparently there was some thought with sam adams to try these bottles, but it didn't work out. my neighbor got a hold of what they had and we have been using them for a couple of years. they work out fine. i would recommend a bench capper. the hand capper will work, but it digs into the side of the aluminum. i don't bottle condition, but when i need to bring bottles somewhere i fill these and use them.

"The History of the Liner - Technicians at the American Can Company, even before prohibition, began toying with the idea of putting beer in a can. As early as 1929, Anheuser-Busch and Pabst experimented with the canning process. Schlitzeven proposed a can design that looked like a small barrel.

The major problem the early researchers were confronted with, however, was not strength, but the can's liner. Several years and most of the early research funds were spent to solve this perplexing problem. Beer has a strong affinity for metal, causing precipitated salts and a foul taste. The brewers called the condition "metal turbidity".

The American Can Company produced the flat or punch top can in 1934. The lining was made from a Union Carbide product called "Vinylite", a plastic product which was trademarked "keglined" on September 25, 1934."

Inside the Soda Can - The Can Ripper at Steve Spangler Science

Don't know if it's still the same stuff in today's aluminum bottles but, I did also read that, overall, aluminum drink containers have gotten thinner. Seems they would need a liner even more than before.

I bottled into two Miller Chill bottles today anyway. We shall see in a week or two if they seal well enough to carb. About another two months to see how well they hold up.

I have always wanted to use Al bottles... i had about 200 of them from a summer spent in NC where bud light in Al bottles is the only thing you can buy anywhere... my cuzin drank it like water... i passed and chose the vodca our designated achohal buyer friend bought... by the end of the summer we were broke and very happy to return home... it was great... i wanted to use them to bottle so we broght them back in 2 really big boxes... then my idiot room mate returned them... i wanted to kill him for that so bad

cheers

Did he at least give you the money on the returns? That's really uncool if not. Time to look for a replacement roommate!

If you find somebody who looks enough like the current one people might never notice he's dea... um, he just moved out one day. didn't bother to take his stuff or anything officer. :D

Glad this came up again. Had forgot about it.

The beer carbed and tasted fine. Still have 1 in the closet. brb...

pssscchhhh... glug glug glug... ahhhh. Yep. That's beer.

I was all excited for these to use in competition. I haven't found a competition yet that will accept them, though. If they don't say specifically "brown glass" then they are saying "12 oz", both of which knock these out.
I thought their best use would be to have a lighter, safer package for shipping beer.

I was all excited for these to use in competition. I haven't found a competition yet that will accept them, though. If they don't say specifically "brown glass" then they are saying "12 oz", both of which knock these out.
I thought their best use would be to have a lighter, safer package for shipping beer.

the reason that they have rules to bottles in competition is so that no beer stands out in the blind tasting. Usually they allow for many different sizes of brown bottles in bjcp competition, I've entered pints, 22 ounces and 12 ouncers in contests.

One thing to consider doing, which I do, is that whenever you bottle a batch of beer, no matter what type of bottle you use, ALWAYS bottle at least 1 (if not two) six packs of standard 12 ounce brown bottles, with no markings on the shoulders (don't use sam adams or bud american ale bottles which have glass etchings on them) that way you always have a few bottles for entering contests.

I usually only enter 2 contests a year, so I always reserve 1 sixer of every beer I brew throughout the year for entries.

Then when it comes to late summer I put 1 bottle of each sixer in the fridge for a week, then I taste it and see if I feel it's contest worthy. If that's the case then I enter 2 bottles of each of them in the two contests I do.

THEN usually on the weekend that I know they are judging the first contest I enter, I put the last bottle of sixer in the fridge, just to make sure there's no late onset bottle gushing infection or something, and to get a feel for the beer at the point I know they are judging it.

Obviously I don't enter every beer I make in that year in contests, only the ones I think are stellar....and some of them have the luxury of haiving bottle conditioned for maybe a year, so some of those are really awesome. This year I entered 4 beers in one contest and 5 in another, and got honorable mentions for two of them.

The other beers I didn't enter, I stored a couple of each sixer and then drank the rest.

But that way whether or not you use aluminum or bombers or grolsh bottles, if you have at least one 6-er of regular beer bottles for each batch you can enter a couple contest.

Has anyone read up on the re usability on these. Ever since everyone went BPA,and chemical leaching crazy im never sure what materials are 100% safe from leaching. i know the bottles are lined, but i cant imagine the liners in the bottles were designed to be reused. but if there anything like the lined swis bottles they would be great! defiantly an important thing to look into tho.

Back