Alternative to starsan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you want an alternative? Because you can't find it or that you don't like the foam?

The only two fda approved for brewing sanitizers are iodophor (iodine based) and Starsan...there is no "substitute" for starsan, but for iodophor you can use any 1-1.5% titratable iodine dilluted at 1 tbs/5 gallon for 1.5% or 1.5 tbs for the 1%....

Many of us use Dairy grade "teet" iodine based sanitizers which we buy in bulk from tractor supply co...the brand I get is Dionne Gentle Iodine, and it costs about 16 dollars a gallon.

I posted a lot of sanitizer info and tips here...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

its just cuz i wanted to brew tonight, and i dont have any on hand. maybe ill make a trip to the lhbs on my lunch break tomorrow

Thanks for the great recommendations!

its just cuz i wanted to brew tonight, and i dont have any on hand. maybe ill make a trip to the lhbs on my lunch break tomorrow

Thanks for the great recommendations!

If you wanna brew tonight, go to the drug store and look for Providone iodine, or any other Iodine you can find....or is there a tractor supply or any other type of farm/feed store where you live?

Bleach at 1 tablespoon per gallon is an excellent sanitizer. Just let stuff drip dry to allow the chlorine to evaporate off if you are paranoid about off flavours. Personally having used it for many years before switching to Star San I never noticed any and I would just drain off the solution.

GT

Back