Alternative to glass flasks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjohnson

Reaction score
I've been shopping for something to make larger starters in and it just kills me to spend so much on something as fragile as a 5L flask. Anyone ever used a stainless bain marie pan? You could boil and chill in it. Bottoms are usually flat so stir bars should work fine. Seems like the only downside is that you can't see the fermentation - but do you really need to?

Something like this:
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/4-1-4-qt-bain-marie-pot/92278740.html

Am I missing something?

Just go to you local bakery. Big box stores just have their bakerys toss their glaze buckets. I picked up a 2 gal one for my lager starters. You'll probably want a longer stir bar but it works great on my stir plate.

The one you posted is roughly 4 liter size. I see this one is + 5 liter...http://www.webstaurantstore.com/6-qt-bain-marie-pot/92278760.html
Interesting idea, adds bling...:mug:

sfgoat is referring to using a cake icing bucket like this. It's what I use also... they're free..
img_1514-58749.jpg
img_1514-

So... Would you boil your starter in it as well?

Not really necessary. Sanitize your "starter bucket" with StarSan, boil your starter wort in a pot on the stove, let it cool a bit (or cool it w/ an ice bath), and pour it into the starter bucket.

[My appologies if you were joking - I've just seen some folks be adamant that it's necessary to boil the starter wort in a beaker to do a "proper" starter, and I disagree with that line of argument!]

I actually just got a bakery to donate me buckets and they also threw in some smaller buckets and I was thinking "the hell am I gonna use these for?" Thanks for the idea!

The price is right on those buckets, but I really like being able to boil the starter wort in the vessel (although I agree that its not mandatory - I mean we ferment in buckets!).

I also like that when I'm not making starters, I could use this in the kitchen for other stuff. If I pick one up, I'll let you know how it works.

Sorry for the confusion.. we cross posted... I was referring to boiling in the Bain Marie. I wonder if it would't scorch on a gas stove... the metal is so thin. N_G

An icing bucket is good too; not my thing, but it obviously works.

Not really necessary. Sanitize your "starter bucket" with StarSan, boil your starter wort in a pot on the stove, let it cool a bit (or cool it w/ an ice bath), and pour it into the starter bucket.

[My appologies if you were joking - I've just seen some folks be adamant that it's necessary to boil the starter wort in a beaker to do a "proper" starter, and I disagree with that line of argument!]

I've used old vodka bottles for starters when my 2l Erlenmeyer was busy. Pretty much guaranteed to be sanitary.

Sorry for the confusion.. we cross posted... I was referring to boiling in the Bain Marie. I wonder if it would't scorch on a gas stove... the metal is so thin. N_G

An icing bucket is good too; not my thing, but it obviously works.

As long as the extract isn't caked on the bottom, I don't think they'd scorch. I'll let you know if I try it.

Update: I purchased a 6 qt one from amazon. The one I got doesn't have a completely flat bottom. There is a 4" circle in the middle that is raised just a little bit. That raised circle is still flat and my stir plate works great with it - in fact, it seems to work better than my glass flask as far as throwing the bar goes. I have a glass top stove and brought water up to a boil with no problem.

I don't think it will scorch. Its not any worse than many of the economy kettles out there. I think as long as you give your extract a stir and don't let it sit on the bottom, it'll be fine. My next starter is for a lager - I'll update if there are any issues.

All in all, I think this will work great. For $20, you can have a vessel you can boil, chill, stir, and ferment a 1+ gallon starter in.

I use a 4L beaker, way better then the flask. I boil in it, leave a stainless whisk in it during boiling and use that for aeration. I am thinking about making a mini immersion chiller as well.

I boil my starter in my wife's ss two qt. Pot on the stove, cool it in the sink with ice water, sanitize my one gallon jar and here you go...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I used a small SS pot on my stirplate for a small starter instead of my flasks. I've also used a one cup pyrex measuring cup on my stir plate to hydrate dry yeast.

Back