Altering hops in a kit recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbambuti

Reaction score
I have a NB kit for and IPA that I've done before. I like it, but it's not as overtly hoppy as I'd like. I just ordered a lb. of Centennial hops and a lb. of Magnum, which will hopefully arrive in the next week. I'd like to mess with this extract recipe's hops to bring out more aroma and flavor. I'm an extract brewer with steeping and would like to avoid dry-hopping, as I have been fermenting in primary (buckets) and don't have a carboy for secondary.

The original recipe:
1 lb. Caramalt
3.15 lbs gold malt syrup (60 min.)
6 lbs gold malt syrup (15 min.)
1 oz Nugget (60 min.)
.5 oz Kent Goldings (30 min)
1 oz Kent Goldings (15 min)
.5 oz Kent Goldings (1 min)
1 pkg Notty (although I have several)
OG 1.064

Any suggestions to alter hop schedule with Centennial and Magnum would be much appreciated. As stated, I'll have a lb of each, and I also have the hops from the original recipe, so I can be somewhat flexible.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

That's a kit for an English IPA and they generally are not 'overtly hoppy'. If you are looking for Left Coast citrus, just substitute the Centennial for the Kent Goldings. If you'd like to retain some of the English characteristics, change the 15 minute add to Centennial.

Use the Cent/Mag for a Ruination clone brew. If you want to experiment leave a gallon in the bucket after fermentation and toss in a 1/4 -1/2 oz for 5 days in a dry hop experiment. I agree with david_42 that it does not really fit the style you are brewing but it can't hurt to try it out. Dry hopping in primary works well after active ferment is over.

Back