alterenate ways to keep a keg cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecad

Reaction score
I recently was given a kegging system and quckly ordered supplies to make beer to fill my new keg. I just realized that the keg will not fit in the fridge kept in my lair. All attempts to seize the food fridge for beer prodution was defeated by the alleged wife and her minions (mostly the dog). Any one have a way to keep the keg cold unil i can aquire/build/steal some type of keezer/kegerator? should I just keg at room temp an pour into frosty mugs? store the keg in the garage where it may be subject to temp change from he weaher? or just continue bottling for now?

your pal,
THE CAD

I hate these "My wife/girlfriend/SWMBO won't let me have any fun" threads.

For crying out loud, put the damn keg and tank in the fridge!

If that isn't your style, then you need to have an adult conversation with her and explain why a keg setup is useless without a fridge (and it is, to answer your initial question), and how you plan to put it in there with minimal disturbance to her.

By the way, why do you need two refrigerators full of food? Family of eight? Run a catering business? why?

I hate these "My wife/girlfriend/SWMBO won't let me have any fun" threads.

For crying out loud, put the damn keg and tank in the fridge!

If that isn't your style, then you need to have an adult conversation with her and explain why a keg setup is useless without a fridge (and it is, to answer your initial question), and how you plan to put it in there with minimal disturbance to her.

By the way, why do you need two refrigerators full of food? Family of eight? Run a catering business? why?

Hmm, It's her fridge too??

Plus, I think the fridge he uses for his stuff is too small, i.e. a dorm fridge, and the fridge his wife won't let him use is the main house fridge? Which means taking out shelves to make room for a keg, thus no space to put food stuffs. I'd like to see you take all the food out of your fridge and tell your wife, "just deal with it, I have to put it in here until I get a bigger fridge for my beer room."
Or, maybe you would, I don't know, but that is not what OP asked.

I'll try to get back on topic.

Is the problem with the fridge it's height, depth, or something else? Lots of threads on here about modifying a small fridge to work.
What's the temp like outside, in the garage? That could be a place to chill it before you modify or buy a new fridge.

Good luck.

the fridge I have is very small (barely holds 30 bottles) and due to the bump the keg won't fit even with all shelves taken out. The other fridge is the main house fridge, which is why i can't use it (apparently we need to eat). Sorry if I wasn't clear on that.

garage temp is probably around 50 this time of year but is subject to change with outside conditions.

broadbill-it's not that she "won't let me have any fun" it's that i want to play with my new toy now and from research it looks like it will take some time and money to build the keezer set up i want. so i'm looking for a half ass way to have draft beer until i can get things done.

You could run it through a jockey box and keep it anywhere. I also have seen a similar setup to a jockey box but the coil runs through a mini fridge which might work for you. Do some googling!

Just find a mini fridge on craigslist for cheap and use a picnic faucet. Like stated previously, there are many threads describing mods to fridges. Try to get at least a four cubic foot though and you'll be good.

I'm not terribly far from ya and have a five cu. chest freezer that I'm going to be upgrading out of in a few weeks or less. I believe it fits two cornies w/o a collar and a five pounder on the hump if your interested. I used it for fermenting one batch at a time, so I'll verify my two corny claim if your interested. I paid $80 for it earlier this year. It came with a few very minor dings. Yours for $50 if you meet me 1/2 way.

Edit to say that I will bring it all the way if necessary!

Look for a cheap craigslist freezer and get a cheap wire it yourself temperature controller. You can use it as a fermentation chamber also.

That's a darn good deal above. If I was closer I'd take it. My beer fridge just bought the farm. Luckly, I live in a frigid wasteland. It will be months before I need a fridge in the garage to keep beer cold. Right now it's not running and it's keeping the kegs from freezing.

I did my first couple of kegs without a keezer or fridge. It was winter and I just set them on my back deck. I moved them inside/outside as needed to keep them from freezing. I also only had the portable CO2 charger at the time. The beers turned out great.

I have a big cooler in my garage that 2 cornies can stand up side by side. Ice fills about 1/3 the way up the height of the keg. Given that it's winter, the ice has only minimally melted over the past week.

the542-check your messages

everyone else thanks for the ideas

I'm not terribly far from ya and have a five cu. chest freezer that I'm going to be upgrading out of in a few weeks or less. I believe it fits two cornies w/o a collar and a five pounder on the hump if your interested. I used it for fermenting one batch at a time, so I'll verify my two corny claim if your interested. I paid $80 for it earlier this year. It came with a few very minor dings. Yours for $50 if you meet me 1/2 way.

Edit to say that I will bring it all the way if necessary!

HE COULD GO ALLL THE WAY!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist the urge to drop some Chris Berman here.

If you haven't already, do this!!!

Back