Altbier yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgolanos

Reaction score
I made a North German Altbier yesterday and a 1L starter with some WLP029 that I harvested from a Kölsch I made last June. The beer turned out fine, but the starter is as good as dead.

The beer's a no-chill and still cooling down. I don't plan on pitching yeast for another 12 hours so there's time. My question: I have several packs of dry lager yeast on hand, S23 and 34/70. The only ale yeast I have is a new vial of WLP380, which I don't think would work well here. Could I use either of the lager yeasts though in an Alt or would they be too uncharacteristic? LHBS is open today so I could run out and pick up a dry ale yeast if need-be.

Recipe:
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.011 (assuming the Kölsch yeast)
BG: 1.040

3.2kg Pilsner Malt
0.7kg Light Munich Malt
0.3kg Carapils
0.15kg Roast Barley
30g Opal hops at 60mins
30g Saaz hops at 30mins
0.3kg Light LME at 10 minutes

BIAB mash for 60 minutes at 65°C, boil for 60 minutes, allow at least 24 hours to cool before pitching yeast (currently at 16 hours).

Thanks. :mug:

Since you were going to use Kolsch yeast, which a hybrid lager/ale yeast, why not try the lager yeast? I believe last years NHC winner in the Kolsch category was brewed with a lager yeast. Maybe ferment a little warmer than normal lager range to pull a little more character from the yeast. I say go for it

If you can get to the LHBS quickly, I would go buy another Kolsch strain. Either pitch it straight from the pack, or delay 24 hours more and do a no-shake 1.5 L starter and then pitch the whole thing.

Another option is to get two packets of the liquid Kolsch or Alt yeast and pitch both (since you won't have time to make a starter).

That was my original plan, but the LHBS only sells dry. There are two others near by that sell Whitelabs, but they're both closed for another week while the owners are on holidays.

I rehydrated and pitched a pack of 34/70. It's just starting to bubble slowly as of this morning.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Hope it turns out well, I'm doing an Alt in a week or so and plan on using some 34/70 slurry @60F...

That's a good plan. Mine's sitting at about 18°C (temp strip says 15°C, so I'm assuming it's warmer than this). I have hopes for it.:rockin:

Last edited:
Back