Altbier Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCBeernut

Reaction score
The style is Dusseldorf Altbier. I'm going for something authentic here, but I am not doing a decoction, and I'm using Hood instead of Spalt because I have it on hand and it is VERY similar to the noble hops.

General impressions/thoughts?

Should I ferment the starter at 60 F, or should room temp be fine?

Given the month long "lager" at 45 degrees, will this need additional yeast at bottling to carb up properly?

5 gallons
OG=1.051
IBU=44

6 lb Pilsen
3 lb Munich 9-10L
0.5 lb Melanoidin
2oz Carafa II (500 L)

2oz Mount Hood @ 60
0.5oz Mount Hood @ 30

Step mash
149 - 30 minutes
158 - 15 minutes

Fermentation
Wyeast 1007 - German Ale (Dusseldorf origin)
3 L starter
Pitch at 58, allow to rise to 62 - 14 days
Lager at 45 degrees for 30 days

I just made one of these a few weeks ago. I fermented the started at room temp and them fermented the wort at 60-62F. I haven't kegged it yet but I can tell you the fermentation was going crazy at 62F. Krausen lasted a couple of weeks. Your recipe looks good. Very similar to mine.

Starter at room temp is fine, i would ditch the step mash, especially with those temps.

Thanks. Maybe I'll just do a single infusion around 149. I had the step in there originally to maximize fermentability but still keep a little dextrin.

I had the step in there originally to maximize fermentability but still keep a little dextrin.

This is what I do for a lot of beers. I do this mostly with lagers, but I also do it for Alts and Kolsch too - anything with a lot of pilsner malt. I do it for exactly the reason you state. Good fermentability, but with a little extra body. It is very easy with my set up to do this.

Back