Alpha and Beta Amylase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nil

Reaction score
I read that the above enzymes are part of the grain and that one must include at least 50% of a 2-Pale grain (or other) in order to have a supply for enzymatic degradation. I think that this really limit my options.

I was wondering if I can purchase these enzymes and add them to the water once I get the target temperature. If this is case, how much I should add?

Thanks, Nil

I have the same problem... I wanted to do a 70% roast barley beer but was worried about conversion.

On a serious note, what are you talking about? It doesn't need to be 2 row, it could be any base malt, or even malted wheat. Are you suggesting you want over 50% special malts?

Use 6 row malt. It has a way higher enzyme content, and I'm pretty sure it can convert somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40% specialty malt.

70% RB just doesn't appeal to me for some reason, but to each their own...

boo boo said:
I`m pretty well sure chillwill was joking about that.;)

I passed over the "on a serious note" on that one... I was too stunned thinking of how nasty many pounds of RB would taste.

No cookie for me.

Thanks for all you input.

To M_C:

Is there's some limitation with regards the "others" starch sources relative to the malt extract used?

Here is the deal: I got malt extract (2 lb of Munton extra light 100% malt extract) for Xmas and I plan to make a 1/2 grain (maybe wheat) and a add some other sources of starches (rice, potato and corn) as adjunct to see what I get.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Nil

Here is the deal: I got malt extract (2 lb of Munton extra light 100% malt extract) for Xmas and I plan to make a 1/2 grain (maybe wheat) and a add some other sources of starches (rice, potato and corn) as adjunct to see what I get.

I'm confused. It's not Christmas yet but you received "2lbs of Munton's DME" for a Christmas present? Odd.

That aside, why are you looking to add corn, rice, and potato? :confused:

Rev.

The only thoughts I have at this point is it sounds like you have the making for some downright nasty hooch... potato, corn and rice together sound like something prisoners would be fermenting in a Turkish prison.

If you intend on adding a bunch of starch to your beer, you could also look at adding Beano to help with all the starch degradation. It contains AMG which people do use to get some really dry beers.

Rev,

I got my Xmas present in advance. :D

I am trying to play around with different sources of starches in order to evaluate the possible impact on flavor.

Thanks, Nil

I read that the above enzymes are part of the grain and that one must include at least 50% of a 2-Pale grain (or other) in order to have a supply for enzymatic degradation. I think that this really limit my options.

I was wondering if I can purchase these enzymes and add them to the water once I get the target temperature. If this is case, how much I should add?

Thanks, Nil

2-row has enough enzymes to convert up to 50% adjuncts. So 1 lb 2-row, 1 lb other starch source (gelatinized).

You can purchase alpha-amylase (not sure of source), but I haven't heard the same for beta-amylase. If you use alpha-amylase I would still include some base malt. Alpha amylase creates mostly large poorly fermentable dextrins. It is beta-amylases that chops it up into small bits that the yeast can readily consume.

Back