Alot of husk in my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjzelectric

Reaction score
I vorlaufed about 6 times and there was still a good bit of husk/grain material that made it into my kettle. Will this settle out during fermentation or should I filter somehow when racking?

I don't do very well filtering husks either, my braid sucks i think, and I'm too impatient to vorlauf a million times.

Mine usually settles well to the bottom, but I still get a little bit in whatever i rack to (keg/secondary/bottling bucket). If you're kegging, just cold crash it and dump the first cup or so. If you're bottling, I would say you should probably use a secondary just to make sure. But I've not had problems racking without any kind of filtering device.

I picked up a little trick from somewhere: After I vorlauf a few quarts, getting the runoff mostly free of big chunks, I take a nylon hop bag and tie it around the end of the runoff tube. That catches anything else that tries to slip through. For a typical-sized batch I usually wind up with a couple tsp of schmutz caught in the bag by the time I'm through. I don't know that it would hurt my beer if that stuf stayed in the kettle, but I don't think it hurts to keep it out.

I've got a false bottom (most use braid) but I put some stainless screen over it to get the hole size smaller - tried it this weekend, worked like a champ! First runnings were so clear it was amazing!
So, maybe wrap your manifold with something to decrease hole-size...

In my last three or four brews I haven't vorlaufed at all. Two of the beers are fermenting now, but the other two are going into my belly. All of the particulates from the mash dropped out in either the hot break, the cold break, or the yeast cake. The cream ale I'm drinking is one of my clearer beers.

I've got a false bottom (most use braid) but I put some stainless screen over it to get the hole size smaller - tried it this weekend, worked like a champ! First runnings were so clear it was amazing!
So, maybe wrap your manifold with something to decrease hole-size...

Great idea. I use a false bottom, too. Where did you find SS screen? Are we talking material like in a window screen?

Yeh it will settle out. But I'd try some of the above fixes like the nylon bag.

If too much grain gets into the boil it can affect flavour. There's no guarantees one way or the other, but it isn't ideal.

I'm sure the beer will be just fine though.

Try not opening your MLT drain valve all the way. I use a SS braid and I only open the ball valve maybe 70%

If I go wide open it drains too fast and sucks a lot of grain bits thru the braid.
70% still drains fast enough for batch sparge.

Here is my post boil filter

P1040815.JPG

P1040888-800.jpg

P1040890-800.jpg

FWIW, I use a SS Braid over a copper pipe with holes drilled. I know some don't like the design, but I have never gotten husk in the output and only vorlauf for a few seconds just to make sure its running clear. I am a batch sparger though.

Back