Almost Anything can be a Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdscole

Reaction score
Been doing this for a couple years now. I've discovered that it takes an hour longer to brew 25 gallons of beer vs 5 gallons of beer. Obvious equipment scaling. This is an all grain, natural gas brew garage. 26 gallon kettle, twin 15 gallon mash tuns...

My fermenters were always based on what I could actually lift. Largest one was 35 liters (9 gallons) Trying to move that was also a strain on the 50 year old back. Favorite is still the 7 gallon fermonster. I have an Anvil, and something else stainless from China as well.

Started looking at larger fermenters. Something obviously too large to move under human power. Ended up not going with the marketed solutions and purchased a couple food grade 30 gallon open top poly drums.
barrel of beer.JPG
Here in the central valley in CA, the agriculture industry is awash in containers like this. I bought 2 @ $15 a piece. I don't need 2, but couldn't help myself at $15 a pop.

A couple minutes with a Step Drill bit, and I have a solid fermenter.

It's gas tight at these slight pressures based on the airlock activity.

Pro:
Huge
Cheap
Easy access
Gas tight

Con:
Previously contained pickled Jalapeno peppers. The odor takes a bit to dissipate.
Too heavy to move. Where they sit is where they sit. I have it elevated (filled from the brew kettle with 5 gallon buckets) so that it will eventually gravity drain into kegs. The piano dolly helps to move it around.

I guess the end message is not to limit yourself with the commercial offerings. Plenty of stuff out there that will do the job.

When I first read this:

My fermenters were always based on what I could actually lift. Largest one was 35 liters (9 gallons) Trying to move that was also a strain on the 50 year old back. Favorite is still the 7 gallon fermonster. I have an Anvil, and something else stainless from China as well.

What my brain saw was this:

My fermenters were always based on what I could actually lift. Largest one was 35 liters (9 gallons) Trying to move that was also a strain on the 50 year old back. Favorite is still the 7 gallon fermonster. I have an Advil, and something else stainless from China as well.

Yeah, I thought, chemistry is one way to deal with those back issues. :)

I've had 2 back surgeries and while I can lift 50 or 60 pounds, I finally realized that it was a fool's bet to keep doing that unless I wanted to risk a 3rd surgery. So I bought a transfer pump to move water from my RO storage to the kettle.

And no Advil! :)

I really hope that dolly is secure :eek:
I can only imagine the mess of a 25 gallon batch taking a tumble...

Hey neato setup! A few ideas popped into my head while reading; use a pump instead of a bucket to transfer the wort, it will be faster, more sanitary, and waay easier on your back than toting 6 buckets up a ladder. Since the poly material can withstand high temps, maybe transfer hot and install an immersion chiller through a spare lid to cool it right in the fermenter. Downside is that the cold break will end up in the fermenter, but YMMV.

Last edited:
I really hope that dolly is secure :eek:
I can only imagine the mess of a 25 gallon batch taking a tumble...
Those crates do look a little skinny, I wonder what they are rated for? After all, 30 gallons of beer would weigh about 250lbs...

Maybe use the spare barrel as a stand? At 15 bucks that's a pretty cost-effective solution, and I'm pretty sure they were designed to be stacked when full.

You guys are hilarious! I agree that security of the positioning system is suspect. Those are simply milk crates. Milk crates are pretty stout by design - but mostly it's just gravity holding the whole thing together. It's also ridiculously top heavy. Don't push the the barrel...push the dolly.

The bucket thing worked pretty well honestly. It's not tall enough to need a step stool, and filling the buckets to 3-4 gallons was light enough to do repeatedly. Plus the aeration of the chilled wort was great.

That said - I received a pump for Christmas!

Moving forward - the barrel will be in the fermentation fridge. The Dec/Jan garage temps - even in California are cooler than I'd like for fermenting. The fridge also has a heating pad for lower limit controls. But filling it in the fridge would require a pump. I can't get a bucket over the top of the barrel inside of the fridge.

Currently freestanding in the garage it's hovering around 58° with US-05 yeast. I prefer the mid 60's.

I didn't use it because it is also full of beer. Problems to have.

2/10/2020 Update:
Jalapeno pepper flavor in an IPA is not a positive addition. In fact....it's terrible. I shall slowly consume the 20 gallons of this slop as punishment for saving $30 vs buying a new container. (which I have now done). New is better. Jalapeno is not awesome.

Interesting. Whered you score them? Ive usually only seen olives and vinegars. Neither sounded like a good idea, and both were more like 13-15 gallons. Haven’t seen any of the larger guys

Back