AllGrain.Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nagmay

Reaction score
Being both a geek and a homebrew enthusiast, I decided to write my own recipe calculator: http://allgrain.beer/

There are a bunch of others out there, but I wanted to create something new. The focus was on an easy-to-use interface, backed by good data that is easy to keep updated. For example, here are all the hops: http://allgrain.beer/hops/

If you try it out, please send me some feedback - good, or bad.

Thanks!

screenshot.png

Love the different formats and embed code.

Thanks. I wanted an easier way to include beer recipes on my personal site.

Have you considered adding a section for notes, or mash information?

Notes will added ASAP. There are several items on my "to do" short list including mash information. Near the top, is allowing people to log in - this way you can update a recipe without creating a duplicate.

Other ideas or bugs?

Web app looks good and worked perfect for my sample batch! I know the calculations can be difficult to find and put together, so feel free to use my list of formulas if you need them!.
GitHub link... https://github.com/whitesoup12/LubberwortBrewStation

LubberwortBrewStation/Lubberwort Brew Station/src/lubberwort/formulas/BrewFormulas.java

It's Java but can be translated easily to JS.

Web app looks good and worked perfect for my sample batch! I know the calculations can be difficult to find and put together, so feel free to use my list of formulas if you need them!.

Thanks! Right now, I've defaulted most of the calculations - for example: IBUs are calculated using the Tinseth formula. Once a login is available, the plan is to allow the used to set the defaults, including formulas.

I, nice job!
very user friendly interface, u should add the metric system conversion, so I can try some recipe.

My first thought was - I think MillerCoors owns the rights to "Lite" beer, haha

but seriously, looks great. I LOVE the avg yeast data that's built in. If you could add any of the smaller yeast makers (I know its harder to find info since they are newer) that would be incredible.

Oh and how about a magic button at the bottom that says "Help is my homebrew ruined?" and you click it and it takes you to a page with a glass of beer that says RDWHAHB

Dude, that's awesome!

Super easy interface, I like.

And yes, adding metric would be great (or maybe having a conversion widget in there somewhere?).

Another suggestion would be to have total weight of grains (helps with larger grain bills and figuring
water:grist).

Perhaps also, the ability for users to add to the database, particularly water profiles.
Oh, and Dry Yeast - I don't think I see Fermentis or Danstar in there.

Other than that it;s pretty kick ass. Thanks for sharing it!

Love the interface! Simple is good!

I'd also like to see the following -
1) Total grain weight
2) Percentage of grist to the right of the SRM Box,
3) Dry yeast!
4) Mash/Notes if available,
5) A Print Option for those of us still trapped in paper land.

Overall it's just an awesome start on something that'll be fantastic if it stays true to being simple and easy to use (which it already is, just keep what it is when you start adding more and more and more options....).

I just noticed the numbers for Lactose need to be fixed. Right now its showing that its almost as fermentable as cane sugar...

Thank you everyone for the great feedback! What you see now is just the beginning. I hope to do lots of bug fixing and feature adding over the next few months. Metric (and other) units is near the top of my list.

Notes on what's being worked on: http://allgrain.beer/2014/11/version-1-3/

Let me know if I missed anything.

Love the interface! Simple is good!
5) A Print Option for those of us still trapped in paper land.

Each recipe is available in a variety of formats, including plain text. For example: http://allgrain.beer/recipes/txt/1461/

I might need to make it more clear.

Overall it's just an awesome start on something that'll be fantastic if it stays true to being simple and easy to use (which it already is, just keep what it is when you start adding more and more and more options....).

Thank you. Keeping the interface simple is my primary goal. I actually programmed many of the mash and temperature calculations, but won't add them until I can figure out a way to keep things from being cluttered.

I just noticed the numbers for Lactose need to be fixed. Right now its showing that its almost as fermentable as cane sugar...

Lactose is an interesting one. I believe that 35 points is correct - as it will raise the OG nearly as much as other sugars. However, since it's not fermentable, the points shouldn't be used when calculating the FG.

I'll make sure to correct it as soon as I can. - Thanks!

Each recipe is available in a variety of formats, including plain text. For example: http://allgrain.beer/recipes/txt/1461/

I might need to make it more clear.

Thank you. Keeping the interface simple is my primary goal. I actually programmed many of the mash and temperature calculations, but won't add them until I can figure out a way to keep things from being cluttered.

Found it! I didn't save a recipe the first time, so when I went back and did another test and saved it, I saw where they were. I did click a few yeasts, some were weird like Wyeast ESB - it had an attenuation of 33% instead of 71%, so maybe something got goofed? It was easy to change back.

Also, what formula are you using for color? For some reason the SRM seems to be darker than what I was anticipating...

EDIT -

Also, is it possible to change the recipe index so that you can sort by the column headers (style/date/etc) via drop menu? Would be easier to parse than the rolling date over 4 pages as the list grows.

Still a nice job!

some were weird like Wyeast ESB - it had an attenuation of 33% instead of 71%, so maybe something got goofed? It was easy to change back.

Good find! The upper attenuation number was missing. Luckily these are easy to correct, so let me know if you find more. Should now average to 69% attenuation ;)

Also, what formula are you using for color? For some reason the SRM seems to be darker than what I was anticipating...

It's using the standard Morey equation for color - but I agree, everything seems a bit dark. I will take a look.

EDIT -

Also, is it possible to change the recipe index so that you can sort by the column headers (style/date/etc) via drop menu? Would be easier to parse than the rolling date over 4 pages as the list grows.

They should already be sortable by clicking on the header for each column. There's just no indication that these are clickable (but I'l correct that).

The goal is to eventually have a detailed search. One that not only sorts by name & style, but also: "I have x, y, and z. What can I brew?"

Back