Allagash White Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullhawk

Reaction score
I am looking for an Allagash White recipe, I have read the thread on here. I was wondering if someone has made this and they feel good about the hop schedule and spices. From what I have read it sounds like the grain bill is pretty solid.

I am looking for an Allagash White recipe, I have read the thread on here. I was wondering if someone has made this and they feel good about the hop schedule and spices. From what I have read it sounds like the grain bill is pretty solid.

I have made my own recipe comparing to an Allagash White beer based on what my SWMBO tends to like. We tasted beers side by side and love this one for 5.5G:

5# 2 Row
5# white wheat
1# Flaked Oats
1 oz Tettnanger 60 min full boil
(Look for 15 IBU so 4AA% Tettnanger usually is close)
1 oz Sweet Orange Peel, dehydrated, added 5 min til Flameout
2 gram Brewers Grain of Paradise, lightly cracked 5 min til flameout
1 sachet US-05

Mash at 150F for 60 min. Boil 60 minutes. Only one hop addition. Light bittering, hops are not a dominate player.

This beer is quite light and very "whitish" colored. The grains of paradise addition instead of coriander is probably the biggest difference.

Thanks for the advice, I going to go with the following recipe;

1. 5# 2-row malted barley (Golden Promise)
2. 1.5# Red wheat malt
3. 2.5# White wheat malt
4. .5# Oats
5. .5 # Carapils
6. 4-6 oz. Seville Marmalade mixed to a slurry with hot wort with 1 Tbs. of flour mixed in, added to the boil @ 2 minutes
7. 1 oz. Indian Coriander seed @ flame out
8. 1 Tea bag of Chai Tea @ 2 minutes
9. .25 Nugget @ 60 minutes
10. .25 Crystal @ 60 minutes
11. .25 Saaz @ 1 minute

Thanks for the advice, I going to go with the following recipe;

1. 5# 2-row malted barley (Golden Promise)
2. 1.5# Red wheat malt
3. 2.5# White wheat malt
4. .5# Oats
5. .5 # Carapils
6. 4-6 oz. Seville Marmalade mixed to a slurry with hot wort with 1 Tbs. of flour mixed in, added to the boil @ 2 minutes
7. 1 oz. Indian Coriander seed @ flame out
8. 1 Tea bag of Chai Tea @ 2 minutes
9. .25 Nugget @ 60 minutes
10. .25 Crystal @ 60 minutes
11. .25 Saaz @ 1 minute

A couple suggestions...

1) Sub flaked white or red wheat for the malted whilte wheat. You want some unmalted wheat to give the beer a toasted, cracker-like flavor.

2) Dial the coriander way back. Go with no more than .25 ounce. Indian coriander is pretty potent stuff. I brewed a witbier last summer and used .4 ounce Indian coriander (finger crushed) and it was too much. I made a note to reduce to .25 ounce next time.

Let us know how this one turns out. I'm particularly curious about how the Chai plays in this.

Back