Allagash Tripel Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imtrashed

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone try reproducing Allagash Tripel? Having one right now and would love to try to reproduce it. I have a Dubbel that I'll probably harvest the yeast from (wasn't sure I could successfully harvest from the Tripel due to the alcohol). AHS has a Tripel Clone recipe, but I don't see any reviews for it, so I'm hesitant to simply buy their recipe. Anyone have a recipe for something close?

Just found this online. Think this will do the trick?...
http://perfectbeer.blogspot.com/2009/07/allagash-tripel-clone-recipe.html

Allagash Tripel Clone:

12.8 lbs (5.8 kg) Pilsner malt
1.6 lbs (.73 kg) sucrose
2 oz (57 g) German Tettnang hops (4% AA, 60 minutes)
.4 oz (11 g) Hallertau Mittelfruh hops (whirlpool)

Wyeast 1762 (Belgian Abbey Ale II) or Wyeast 3787 (Trappist High Gravity) or White Labs WLP510 (Belgian Bastogne Ale)

Mash at 153 F (67 C). Boil for 90 minutes. Add sugar for final 15 minutes. Add whirlpool hops at end of boil. Ferment at high end of yeast strain's recommended range.
I would sub harvested Allagash yeast. Thoughts?

Tripels are simple and that looks like a standard recipe.

Basically you want pilsner base, a good portion of white sugar to lighten the body, and noble hops. You can add a very modest quantity of spices such as coriander, but most of the flavor and aroma should come from the yeast.

They do not bottle with the same yeast they ferment with. If you search for my Curieux clone thread I have a pretty authentic recipe as their Curieux is just their tripel aged on Jim beam barrels. That might help.

In the email I got from them they said "by all means harvest the yeast from our bottles, but we don't bottle with our proprietary yeast used for fermentation"

So I checked with Allagash also. Can't harvest from their Tripel (different bottling yeast), but the yeast they use to ferment it is the same as their White, which is what they use to bottle the white...

It is true. This yeast in our Tripel bottles is our bottling yeast, which is a different strian from our primary yeast. The yeast in our White 12oz bottles is our primary yeast, and the one we use for the primary of the Tripel. I know of quite a few people to have success growing it up. Of course, the fresher the beer, the better.

Good luck!

Anyone have any input on the below recipe? I may also substitute Belgian Clear Candi Sugar for the sucrose. Ok move, right?
Allagash Tripel Clone:

12.8 lbs (5.8 kg) Pilsner malt
1.6 lbs (.73 kg) sucrose
2 oz (57 g) German Tettnang hops (4% AA, 60 minutes)
.4 oz (11 g) Hallertau Mittelfruh hops (whirlpool)

Wyeast 1762 (Belgian Abbey Ale II) or Wyeast 3787 (Trappist High Gravity) or White Labs WLP510 (Belgian Bastogne Ale)

Mash at 153 F (67 C). Boil for 90 minutes. Add sugar for final 15 minutes. Add whirlpool hops at end of boil. Ferment at high end of yeast strain's recommended range.

Another question, on the hops: if my LHBS doen't have Hallertau Mittelfruh, should I just use Hallertau or sub something like German Tradition?

On the Allagash tour they specifically mention using regular old corn sugar (priming sugar) a lot of the time. The clear candi sugar is nice but not necessary.

As for the hops just use hallertau. They are really really close IMO.

Back