All time Best comedy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Do yo have a favourite, something you watch all the time?

I think it would have to be Only fools and Horses for me.
Faulty Towers is a close second.

Edit. (I'm talking series/sitcom)

Shawn Of The Dead has to be my number 1 pick. Where else can you watch a zombie being beaten down to Queen. Caddyshack and Stripes take up a real close 2nd and 3rd.

Well if you want to get picky about it being a series..... Red Dwarf hands down! Red Green behind it, followed up by Top Gear.

Faulty Towers is great! I love that show. I'm also a fan of The Office (UK and US) and Father Ted. I think my truly favorite comedy right now is Trailer Park Boys, though, out of Canada.

Edit: I watch all of these over and over. My wife absolutely hates these shows because I watch them so much.

South Park for domestic comedies, and old-school Simpsons really was pretty awesome. My favorites tended to be the BBC comedies we used to get; the original version of Coupling (SO MUCH better than the American version), League of Gentlemen, stuff like that. Hard to pick one above all others, though.

Drunkensatyr said:
Followed up by Top Gear.

Is thay a comedy????;)

Red Dawrf and Time Gentlemen are good.

Guv: You can say what you like about the filthy, stinking, treacherous, German hun. But you have to respect 'em.
Marcel: No! Do not fill my French ear with such words.
[Marcel spits on the floor]
Guv: Yea, you have to respect 'em, you don't have to capitulate quite so often but you have to respect 'em. You see the thing about the Germans is it's all above board, they're perfectly clear about what they're ambition is, it's world domination! By any means possible. They're up to something, but they're telling us about it. Not like you lot, sneaking around, I mean look at the words that the French have given the English, "espionage", "sabotage", "camouflage", "fromage".

Ó Flannagáin said:
... Father Ted...

180px-I_Love_My_Brick!.jpg

"I love my... BR-ICK!"
"FED UP WITH BR-ICK!"

I think Topgear could be considered comedy. It's pretty darn funny if you ask me.

Movie wise - Super Troopers and Shaun of the Dead get me every time and as for tv, well, i don't watch tv and haven't for a long long time.

Top Gear is DEFF. a comedy in my book.

Clarkson: "Uh... it's on fire."
Hammond: "What?! It can't be on fire!" (he looks) "It's on fire."
Clarkson: "It's on fire. Just run. Just run."
Clarkson: "The thing is, we've managed to set fire to something that's basically made of water!"
Hammond: "How did you do that? Did you see the owner of the car wash afterwards?"
Clarkson: "He was..."
Hammond: "Cross. Very cross."
May: "He was especially cross when I rang him up and asked if we could have our three pounds fifty back."

James: Don't hit it with a hammer!
Clarkson: Why?
James: ...because that's the tool of a pikey!

[During the news, James suggests the Daihatsu Copen.]
Richard: You would look such a spanner in that!
James: No I wouldn't!
Richard: Yes you would, because you'd be sticking up above up with your big floppy hair like a spaniel. Never, ever, ever, ever buy a car which you are taller than when you’re sitting in it than it is long. You'll look like Noddy with bad hair!

Bernie Brewer said:
My avatar tells of one of my faves. I also like MASH, Frasier, and prolly a few others.

I am gonna have to second Red Green, although Black Adder is amazing too. Although Kids In the Hall is funnier than both of them by far.

King of the Hill is my fav cartoon

I used to watch Brit Comedy on PBS but haven't seen any in years

Series wise, not necessarily in this order....

Black Adder
Coupling (Original Series, not the bastardized US version)
Spaced <---Probably my favorite, has the guys from Shaun of the dead and Hot Fuzz, pre-movie days.
Office (both US and UK)
Extras
Top Gear, though not exactly a series, is freaking hilarious.

And Scrubs
Interestingly enough most of my favorite series are British.

Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Office (UK and US)
Seinfeld (the reruns just never seem to get old)
The Young Ones (a must on set on DVD)
Flight Of The Conchords
30 Rock

Movie: Caddyshack - all time favorite.

The Office, hands down. Carrell is a genius and for that reason, 40yo virgin is also on my top 5 in comedy movies.

Shows:
The Office
'Til Death
How I Met your Mother

Movies:
Blues Brothers
Swingers
Rockstar
40 Year Old Virgin
Old School
NL Vacation (the original with Bev Deangelo)

Standup:
Louis CK
Brian Regan
Greg Behrendt
Robert Schimmel
and ABSOLUTELY NOT Dane Cook.

jvh261 said:
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Office (UK and US)
Seinfeld (the reruns just never seem to get old)
The Young Ones (a must on set on DVD)
Flight Of The Conchords
30 Rock

Movie: Caddyshack - all time favorite.

That's a great list. I haven't seen 30 Rock, butthe rest of those are excellent.

Bird also got me hooked on The IT Crowd - I think this episode is classic

[YOUTUBE]mxIMQnKwIpg[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]dUfnTCZ95cc[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]P-aPXUfdXOI[/YOUTUBE]

rdwj said:
That's a great list. I haven't seen 30 Rock, butthe rest of those are excellent.

Bird also got me hooked on The IT Crowd - I think this episode is classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxIMQnKwIpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUfnTCZ95cc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-aPXUfdXOI

That is an awesome freakin' show. Wife loves it, too, and neither of us is particularly technically inclined. I thought I heard that it was done - like, for good - but I'm not sure.

Cheyco and/or Walker got me hooked on Trailer Park Boys for a while - EXCELLENT for the first couple of series, then it went downhill...

"Family Guy" is the funniest series on TV at this time IMHO. I think South Park is great too, so you know where my head is at.

Rick

The Office (UK)
Coupling (UK)
Ab Fab
Strangers With Candy - One of my all time favs
SCRUBS - I think Dr Cox is one of the best sitcom characters in may years.
But Monty Python still holds a spot for being one of the few ones that no matter how many times I see it it's still funny.

Now as far as stand up goes I haven't seen anything funnier than Eddie Izzard.

the_bird said:
That is an awesome freakin' show. Wife loves it, too, and neither of us is particularly technically inclined. I thought I heard that it was done - like, for good - but I'm not sure.

Cheyco and/or Walker got me hooked on Trailer Park Boys for a while - EXCELLENT for the first couple of series, then it went downhill...

I made my wife watch the "gay" episode and she loved it. It's amazing to me that shows like that don't continue and yet, Cavemen get's the green light. I'm 100% certain that IT Crowd would KILL in the rathings here in the US if it were put out by a netwok.

-Family Guy
-Are you Being Served
-Keeping up Appearances
(and I really hate to admit this one, as I'll have to turn in my man card...but)
-Reba-The show just cracks me up

The Office
South Park
Family Guy
Scrubs (although it jumped the shark last season)
Colbert Report
Daily Show

Haven't gotten in to any new shows yet. Big Shots looks good (because I LOVED Titus).

Oh, the new one with the Milf from Grounded For Life, Spade, and Putty is pretty funny.

My picks are not going to be the norm b/c I don't find a lot of stuff on the networks groundbreakingly funny. The Office is the only one I can single out, and it was done (slightly better, IMO) by the Brits first. I like The Simpsons and Family Guy, but cartoons are too easy. So, I'm sticking to live action sitcoms.

Red Green - Harold rocks!
SCTV - the blueprint for sketch comedy shows
Leave It To Beaver - not cutting edge, but still a must-see for me when it is on.
Cheers
Seinfeld
Taxi
The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Particular favorite sitcom episodes of mine:

The Bob Newhart Show (the one in the New England inn) - final episode
Seinfeld - "The Competition"
WKRP In Cincinnati - "Turkey Drop"
The Mary Tyler Moore show - "Chuckles Bites The Dust"
Taxi - "Reverend Jim: A Space Odyssey"
The Dick Van Dyke Show - "It May Look Like A Walnut"
The Honeymooners - "Chef Of The Future"

And finally, one that is before my time even, but worth renting or checking out if you are lucky enough to have a local station running it at 3am:

Sgt. Bilko. This show is the blueprint for every TV sitcom made to this day. Still considered by many, including those who make sitcoms, to be the best sitcom ever made - better than Lucy (I hated Lucy), Seinfeld, Mary Tyler Moore, Dick Van Dyke, etc., etc.

Series:
  • +1 for the Office (though I only like the UK version)
  • Simpsons (seasons 7-12)
  • It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Movies:
  • +1 The Office
  • Something About Mary
  • Slapshot
  • Major league
  • Caddyshack

I've got a twisted sense of humor so here goes.

Funny movies:
Boondock Saints.
Pulp Fiction (Practically all of Tarantino's movies crack me up)
Any martial arts flick.
Old-school action movies (Rambo, Swarzennegger.....)
UFC Ultimate Knockouts.

Funny shows:
Family Guy
South Park
Last Comic Standing

I'm a comedy junkie - REALLY stupid comedy.

A short list of DVDs that the laser is likely to burn all the way through:
Airplane
Office Space
Supertroopers
Grandma's Boy
O Brother Where Art Thou

As for television, South Park and Family Guy are household standards.

Trailer Park Boys for me. There's a few of the recent episodes I don't care for, but for the most part, its pretty funny and true to life around here.

Red Dwarf
Faulty Towers( I think its awesome so many said this, I grew up watching these)
Only Fools and Horses( I need these on DVD - best seasons early or late Orfy? Its been a while)
Flying Circus( full set on DVD is my pride and joy)
The Office( both continents versions)
Kids in the Hall
Seinfeld
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Mr.Bean
The State
etc.
Movie favs(top maybe):
Wes Anderson movies
W.C. Fields movies.....all of them, but especially: Its a Gift, Never Give a Sucker..., Bank Dick, You Can't Cheat....

Latest posts

Back