All Things Randall: tips, hacks and best practices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

pvpeacock

Reaction score
I'll admit I had some money burning a hole in my pocket, so I bought a Randall from Home Brew Stuff 10
While there are a handful of Randall threads here, I did not find one addressing tips, hacks and best practices for using them. So here's the place to do that.

I will admit, that I have not used mine yet, but just received 1 lb. of Centennial and 1 lb. of Azacca hole cone hops. So my plan is to give it a try this weekend with a 5.5% ABV IPA I have on tap that has lost some of its hop goodness (it is still delicious nonetheless).

OP
OP
pvpeacock

pvpeacock

Reaction score
I finally tested out my hop Randall with Centennial hops and was not impressed. The beer just tasted grassy, not hoppy. Given my expectations of a really bright, hoppy aroma and flavor, I was sorely disappointed.

OP
OP
pvpeacock

pvpeacock

Reaction score
There was significantly more foam than a regular pour, but I could live with that IF the hop flavor was what I had expected. The only other problem I had was that the rubber o-ring was broken and it took me a while to find a replacement that worked (prevented leaks). I will try it again one day with different hops, but the grassy flavor from the Centennial hops was very disappointing.

hopfenstopfen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There was significantly more foam than a regular pour, but I could live with that IF the hop flavor was what I had expected. The only other problem I had was that the rubber o-ring was broken and it took me a while to find a replacement that worked (prevented leaks). I will try it again one day with different hops, but the grassy flavor from the Centennial hops was very disappointing.

Have you tried pellets too? I think David Heath has a Youtube video where he put t90 pellets in a muslin bag inside the randall. Think it was Kegland’s new device not named Randall. I don’t know what differences one may get with leaf vs pellets, but the pellet & randall method could just be an alternative way to use post-boil hops.