All things Escarpment Labs Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksub123

Reaction score
As the title says, this is for any information or experiences with escarpment labs yeast.

My LHBS is only carrying escarpment for liquid yeasts but there isn't much information available except the write up from escarpment. So if anyone can shed any light on these yeasts it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
To get the ball rolling i brewed an experimental oktoberfest with the Krispy kveik strain. The full discussion is here: Skare kveik
tldr; it ended up with some tropical flavors that I didn't want but I started out fermenting hot and then cooled it after fermentation was underway.

Also, from the description of their foggy london I am fairly confident that it is wyeast1318 from Bodingtons.

Last edited:
Hope I can bring this back to life a bit. I was looking into escarpment and came across their cerberus strain. Never heard of a strain quite like the description. It sounded like it is fairly geared towards modern hazy IPAs so I asked them about the origin, figuring it would be something in England and they responded saying it actually originates in Belgium. That led to more poking around and fell upon S-33 which sounds MAYBE like the same strain? Both Belgian, both fruity, both could be used in multiple styles but the flavors dont match up. After reading SafAles write up and data about S-33, they report more fruit/banana where Cerberus is more Pineapple/coconut. I would love if anyone has used these strains can confirm or deny or really provide any info at all. Escarpment is hard to come by in the states so I dont mind paying for something good but not going to have it shipped across the border if I can spend less than 5 bucks on S-33

My homebrew shop stocks Escarpment and set me up with their Cali Ale for a Chinook hopped IPA recipe I had calling for WLP001. Very healthy ferment and it tasted great at bottling (still carbonating). I've got a Laerdal Kveik earmarked for a Hazy IPA as well as their Vermont Ale planned for a hoppy golden ale. Will report back!

Hope I can bring this back to life a bit. I was looking into escarpment and came across their cerberus strain. Never heard of a strain quite like the description. It sounded like it is fairly geared towards modern hazy IPAs so I asked them about the origin, figuring it would be something in England and they responded saying it actually originates in Belgium. That led to more poking around and fell upon S-33 which sounds MAYBE like the same strain? Both Belgian

There's four big clues in the description of Cerberus - diastatic, enigmatic, tropical and often-used-with-Conan/Vermont. Diastatic means super-attenuating and usually means a Brett or saison yeast, which is the very opposite of the low-attenuating S-33.

Enigmatic points to the notorious WLP644 Sacch "Trois" which allegedly comes from 3 Fonteinen and was originally thought to be a Brettanomyces but is now known to be a weird member of the saison family.

And WLP644 is known for its pineapple flavours and is often used in conjunction with Conan for hazies.

The final clue is in the name which is a reference to Sacch Trois and 3 Fonteinen - in mythology, Cerberus was a dog with three heads.

Also - S-33 is not a Belgian yeast. I don't know how that got lodged in homebrew mythology but its DNA has been sequenced and it's clearly a close relative of Windsor and Muntons, presumably like them it originated with the old EDME homebrew yeast.

There's four big clues in the description of Cerberus - diastatic, enigmatic, tropical and often-used-with-Conan/Vermont. Diastatic means super-attenuating and usually means a Brett or saison yeast, which is the very opposite of the low-attenuating S-33.

Enigmatic points to the notorious WLP644 Sacch "Trois" which allegedly comes from 3 Fonteinen and was originally thought to be a Brettanomyces but is now known to be a weird member of the saison family.

And WLP644 is known for its pineapple flavours and is often used in conjunction with Conan for hazies.

The final clue is in the name which is a reference to Sacch Trois and 3 Fonteinen - in mythology, Cerberus was a dog with three heads.

Also - S-33 is not a Belgian yeast. I don't know how that got lodged in homebrew mythology but its DNA has been sequenced and it's clearly a close relative of Windsor and Muntons, presumably like them it originated with the old EDME homebrew yeast.

God you have no idea how glad I am you cleared this up. I never knew sacch trois came from 3 fonteinen but the three theme makes a ton of sense now.

Back