All Things Asian To Brew With

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I have this love for hot peppers and figured I ought to try an Asian type beer using Thai chilis. Lemongrass certainly comes to mind as did rice DME.

I'm not looking for hops that are citrusy or dank, but am wondering about spices that may do well in a brew.

So far what I've come up with is quite simple (all grain), and simple may be a good thing but I'd like to explore options as I typically prefer some complexity all depending (my jalapeño blonde, cream ale, and honey wheat are simple wanting a star for the show).

I don't seem to get much as far as flavor from Thai chilis so am looking mostly for a nice spicy note to compliment Asian flavors.

Ideas or experience sought...

asian pears in a saison

yuzu fruit in a sour (off colored has a great one)

chinese 5-spice in a winter warmer

soy sauce in a gose?

definitely give you points if you can find some way to use natto that works...

Never brewed with asian ingredients myself, but here's something for a little inspiration. A brewery in Northern Indiana makes a "Thai PA" that I used to really enjoy with i lived nearby:

http://www.barehandsbrewery.com/beers-new/#thaipa
Bare Hands Website said:
Thai.P.A., an experimental IPA
brewed with thaispices has been
in high demand since it’s masterful
creation in 2010. We added thai
palm-sugar, lemon grass, kaffir lime
leaf, and galangal (thai ginger) late in
the boil to create a citrusy ale with a
spiced finish. Thai spices mingle with
Columbus and Cascade Hops to
create a unique balance. American
2-row barley and crystal malts
combine for a crisp, dry finish.

Mosher's Radical Brewing suggests a recipe with 5-spice powder. Off hand, I can't remember the rest of it.

Star anise can be used in darker ales.
Rice, of course, though it alone won't taste Asian.
Coriander and jaggery, but it sounds like you're thinking about the Far East.

Hops - Sorachi Ace. Originally from Japan, and has hints of lemongrass.

:)

Can't help with other spices, sorry...

Revolver Brewing near Fort Worth just released The Mandarin, for Chinese New Year.

"A light pale ale brewed with red rice and a pound per barrel of dried goji berries in the mash. Mandarina hops are added and the beer is finished with a dusting of Chinese five spice powder and dry hopped with Golden Yunnan tea."

The thread title made me think I need to meet a home brewing Asian chick. That'd be cool :)

Revolver Brewing near Fort Worth just released The Mandarin, for Chinese New Year.

"A light pale ale brewed with red rice and a pound per barrel of dried goji berries in the mash. Mandarina hops are added and the beer is finished with a dusting of Chinese five spice powder and dry hopped with Golden Yunnan tea."

How's Revolver doin' these days? Moved a few years ago, all they had at the time was Blood and Honey but it was pretty slick.

I've been thinking about doing a split batch with some Green Tea. Sichuan peppercorn would really mess with people.

I've been meaning to incorporate a heavy ginger note in a light ale for years now and still haven't. Thai basil could also be interesting, but I think you could easily overdo it.

How's Revolver doin' these days? Moved a few years ago, all they had at the time was Blood and Honey but it was pretty slick.

They're expanding their beers a bit. I think they have about 4 year round and usually have 2 seasonals available at all times. Blood and Honey is still selling like crazy for them.

I really enjoyed my spring 2015 small batch Tom Gai/Tom Yum inspired Thai beer. I included a smidge of fish sauce, curry paste, cilantro, lemongrass, & lime peel. I even used a little pepper. I hit it heavy with herbs etc and it was super strong but so awesome. Great to cook with and mellowed with time into something beautiful. Never had anything like it. Entered it into one comp. Both judges liked it and yet sort of didn't know how to take it, scored a 34 iirc even though neither noticed anything wrong with it. Just a bridge too far I suppose.

Here is the HBT link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=521357
Here is my recipe link from brewtoad: https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/white-thai

Other Asian ingredients:
Coconut, fish sauce, bean curd, fermented beans, seaweed, tons O STUFF! Go wild!

Dragonfruit would be amazing in a wheat beer or sour. Budhha's hand is another amazing flavor profile, very citrus-like.

Dragonfruit would be amazing in a wheat beer or sour. Budhha's hand is another amazing flavor profile, very citrus-like.

Dragon fruit is so mild I'm not sure it'd have an impact? I've heard you can buy dragon fruit seeds, anyone seen them? They're really nutty and I'd bet it'd be nice.

Back