All Spelt Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus_13

Cul de Sac Brewer
Reaction score
What would be the negative effects of brewing a beer with 100% spelt malt. Or even 100% wheat? I'm wanting to try a 100% Spelt Saison. I'm not positive but I think Hill Farmstead does something like this with one of their brews.

Any input?

Ive never done 100% spelt, but Ive done 100% wheat malt a few times (grodziskie) and it works fine. You need rice hulls for wheat, (and spelt if it is dehusked.) And a good protien rest. I added yeast nutrient, but Im not sure it was necessary.

With the 100% wheat beers, with fining they dropped completely clear. I had no problems with mashing or efficiency.

Ive never done 100% spelt, but Ive done 100% wheat malt a few times (grodziskie) and it works fine. You need rice hulls for wheat, (and spelt if it is dehusked.) And a good protien rest. I added yeast nutrient, but Im not sure it was necessary.

With the 100% wheat beers, with fining they dropped completely clear. I had no problems with mashing or efficiency.

I'm late on responding but thanks for your response. I'm going to try my hand at either a 100% wheat or spelt. Just to see what happens. May go with something smaller like 3 gallons first.

Ill dig at the old thread too! Any notes from the experience? @Gus_13

I don't have my notes in front of me but I believe this was a dumper for me due to using the early big mouth bubblers and my house Saison/Brett blend that became extremely acetic due to O2 ingress. My efficiency was pretty poor too if I remember. I think I did 3 gallon batch shooting for 1.040 and got like 1.028 or something. But, I know some others that have had luck in the Saison FB group with 100% spelt if I recall. I haven't had the itch to do it again haha.

I’ve done 30% spelt malt with great results, a nice earthy flavour. I think it suits saison. Massive rocky head as well

Back