All Pale Ale - APA Critique and Thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonecitybrewco

Reaction score
Recently had an all pale malt APA and I loved how clean and crisp it was. It wasn't held down by any crystal or anything else. The one I had was almost 7% and I've been doing more session-able beers as of late so wanted to riff on the idea. Curious about hop selection really is the malt selection. Was debating Pale Ale malt or just basic Pale 2 row or go for a little twist and use Maris Otter. The other option is to go SMaSH on it. Curious for some thoughts and takeaways from other people that have done something similar. The idea isn't a SMaSH exclusively. Just a crisp, clean, session-able APA only using a pale malt.

Here we go.

============================================

Recipe based on 85% efficiency

7.35 lb Canadian Pale 2 row

0.25 oz Cascade FWH
0.25 oz Centennial FWH
0.5 oz Chinook FWH
1 oz Cascade 5 mins
1 oz Centennial 5 mins
1 oz Chinook Flameout
1 oz Cascade Flameout
1 oz Centennial Flameout
2 oz Chinook Dry Hop 7 days
2 oz Cascade Dry Hop 7 days
1 oz Centennial Dry Hop 7 days

Mash at 149 for 90 mins
US-05 Yeast
OG 1.041
Target ABV: 4.5%
IBU: 41
SRM: 2.67

I like the idea of maybe using Superior Pale Ale malt from CMC but not 100% sure. That or MO. Can't decide. Or maybe just use a single hop variety, though I like the combination of Chinook and Cascade and Centennial.

100% Maris Otter is one of my favorite malt profiles, IMO. I don't think you'd regret it.

Which maltster supplies the Maris Otter which you can get your hands on? Depending on if you like them or not you can chose between Maris Otter or Superior Pale Ale malt (which is an amazing malt in its own)

I think everything looks good in your recipe. Probably no need to use 3 different hops for your FWH; pick the one with the highest alpha acid content and up the amount a little. Otherwise your hop schedule looks fine. It's a very tasty hop combo; the beer is bound to be great!

Which maltster supplies the Maris Otter which you can get your hands on? Depending on if you like them or not you can chose between Maris Otter or Superior Pale Ale malt (which is an amazing malt in its own)

I think everything looks good in your recipe. Probably no need to use 3 different hops for your FWH; pick the one with the highest alpha acid content and up the amount a little. Otherwise your hop schedule looks fine. It's a very tasty hop combo; the beer is bound to be great!

Thanks muchly. It's Crisp.

Also agree on the FWH, so thanks for pointing that out to me. Completely missed that.

Thanks muchly. It's Crisp.

Also agree on the FWH, so thanks for pointing that out to me. Completely missed that.

Crisp is great. Whichever you decide on, Superior or MO, the beer will be good. I'd probably lean slightly towards Superior Pale Ale, but honestly there's no wrong decision here.

Back