all my beers have the same flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

comer88888

Reaction score
my last three batches of light ale, belgian wit, and a honey wheat all have a similar taste in them. They all taste different but there is one little bit of after taste that always tastes the same. I bought all of them at midwest supplies extract kits and always buy the activator packs because they are easy to use. anyone else notice this? I am thinking it is something in the activator pack or maybe its the same brand of extract. any ideas?

What's it taste like? Banana and clove? Rubber? Grass or vegetable flavor?

Theres also some debate on HBT about whether there exists something called "extract twang" which is supposedly a subtle off-flavor that comes from extract.

It's the extract. All of it contains a certain potential to go slightly cidery, especially if fermented above 66ºF.

I'd recommend using bigger mashes and less extract, and making sure you're not fermenting at room temperature in the summer heat. I still use extract from time to time, especially for extract-late ales, but I try never to use less than a half mash recipe. And AG is, needless to say, optimal for varying the flavor profile of your beers more noticeably.

thanks. its not a reconizeable flavor like clove or banana. it must be the extract. time to save up for a mash tun, bigger kettle, and a propane burner.

HI,

So I had this same issue... they all tasted the same. I just posted this in another thread but it may be helpful to you also?

So I am quite new to brewing, but I started a thread awhile back just like this. All by brews tasted similar a metallic/mineral flavor. I think I fixed it with the following, I bet this is your issue(s):

1) Was just using a smack pack (no starter) for the yeast.
2) Fermentation temps to high. I was at about 68-72 as you and was told that 65ish was better. I now use this: http://www.bayareamashers.org/gadgets/Dave's Cheap n Easy fermentation chiller .pdf

I let my metallic beer age out in the bottle (or keg) for another 3-4 weeks and it was much better not great but drinkable!

Try that IMO - someone correct me if I am wrong with anything.

I don't get that cidery extract twang everyone talks about. A cidery flavor is either too much sugar &/or something to be desired in the process. Even some yeasts are less forgiving in that way. I've always used cooper's ale yeast in different ways. It works well in a good process.:mug:

I've noticed a "twang" in a few past extract batches (with controlled ferm temps and good sanitation) In repeats using the exact same recipe and the exact same process , the problem has not been there. All were LME-heavy recipes. My conclusion is that the particular cans of LME I used weren't as fresh as they should have been in the twangy batches. I haven't had the problem using DME. If you're using LME, make sure it's fresh. Hopefully that helps.

The old (6/09) LME can I used didn't have that flavor either. Cidery flavors are from high temps &/or too much sugar usually. I do add nearly equal amounts of LME & DME to my brews,though.

The old (6/09) LME can I used didn't have that flavor either. Cidery flavors are from high temps &/or too much sugar usually. I do add nearly equal amounts of LME & DME to my brews,though.

I try to minimize my extract usage in general. In smaller beers (1.050 or below) I do AG, anything bigger I do PM. But I typically use LME instead of DME just because DME is so expensive. But I try and make sure the LME I'm using is no more than a few months old. But if I'm using extract as my main source of fermentables, I try to split it between LME and DME as well.

DME stays fresh.

SODIUM BICARBONATE (see BYO article) has mad my extract brews perfect.

About 1 tsp per 5 gallons stops and twang.

DARK beers especially need the sodium bicarbonate to make up for the missing base grains and the resulting PH changes in mini mashes or steeps.

I got the LME can home before I thought to look at the date on it. We had a lot of running to do that day,& I didn't have time to waste. I started using plain DME's with the LME cans for flavor & body mainly. Worked out better than I imagined.

What are your fermentation temperatures?

I failed on my first 5 batches because of fermentation taking place at about 71 degrees ambient. (I brewed 2 at a time to start so my mistakes carried over...)

As soon as I built a fermentation chamber and held everything under 65 degrees using a thermowell I was astounded. My words after taking my first sip out of the primary sample were, "Oh my...that's awesome!"

And then starters...and then oxygenation. Now I'm proud to show off my beers in comparison to commercial examples of the styles. It's my not so humble opinion that until these factors are controlled, (temp, pitch rate, O2 levels) you shouldn't worry a inkling about "extract twang" or anything of the like.

Any monkey can make a good wort. It takes happy yeast to turn that wort into good BEER.

i have been fermenting at 71-75 degrees. I will try and get it cooler with my next batch. Thanks for all the responses.

Understood...I'm not sure what ideas you have but if you're looking for an easy way to get that temperature down do a search for "swamp cooler." Try that for a batch and if you can isolate the temp as the issue, maybe look into something more permanent and predictable for future brews.

Are you using the same yeast for every batch? I was using US-05 for everything and felt the was a lot is similarity to my beers. Switched to several other popular liquid yeasts and now I'm tasting a difference in each new batch. Yeast can have a considerable effect on the taste of the beer.

I noticed that too when I was brewing extract. As soon as I moved to all grain... GONE! I actually did one batch with only DME right before I went all grain that didn't have that flavor, but it was kind of expensive in comparison. My money's on your LME.

i tasted a nasty twang in beer back when i was doing lme beers. almost made me stop brewing. after i started all-grain, or at worst dme, never tasted it again

Back