all late hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I have heard that adding all of the hops in the boil at the last 10 mins or so will give you a lot more aroma and more of a smooth bitterness. Should I double the bittering additions if I'm adding them at the end of the boil.

It is commonly called hopbursting. It can produce some really amazing beer. If you want the appropriate bitterness, run it through a calculator to make sure you know where you'll end up. I don't think simply doubling the hops will give you an accurate estimate of IBUs, so use a program.

+1 on the program.

One of the homebrewers in our local club makes a wonderful Amarillo pale ale, he uses four ounces in the kettle starting with a 15 minute addition and then uses another ounce or two to dry hop it in the keg. Next time pale ale is up on my brew schedule I'll be trying the same but I'll use 4-6 ounces of Cascade. Should make a nice grapefruit bomb.

thats funny the hop schedule Im working on right now is mostly amarillo

5 oz amarillo 20min 6%a
1 oz fuggle 20min 4%a
2 oz EKG 15min 5%
2 oz saaz 15min 3%
2 oz amarillo 0min 6%a

wow, that looks crazy

This sounds interesting. What style would you recommend using this technique with?

I'm planning an ale yeast pilsner clone. Hopbursting a bunch of Saaz sounds cool. :)

Hopbursting I would think would be most appropriate for styles that feature more hop flavor, and aroma. Any style that has a flavor profile that is more malty would probably not benefit much from a Hopburst.

Well, I really like Budvar, which has a strong floral hop aroma. I think I'll try hopbursting for my clone with the same recalculated bitterness.

10g
22.5lbs 2row
1lb munich
1lb wheat malt
1.5lbs kilned amber 28degL

amarillo 5oz 20min
fuggles 1oz 20min
EKG 2oz 15min
saaz 2oz 15min
amarillo 2oz 0min
EKG 2oz 0min

Back