"All Late Hops" IPA recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EternalHoppiness

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was intrigued by MrMalty's Late Hop article, and I have read a bunch of threads here on late hopped beers. However, I'm curious whether this method can really replace dry hopping in getting that huge hop aroma.

I have a few questions and a recipe posted below, and I would appreciate any and all thoughts/suggestions from the awesome HBT crowd!

Questions:
1. If you've done an "all late hop" beer before, would you dry hop in addition to all the late hops?
2. Given that late hop bitterness contribution is supposedly less than the expected IBU would suggest, should I move some of the Nugget to FHW to get more bitterness? Or just add more nugget at 20 min?
3. While I've seen a few discussions of Nugget as a flavor/aroma hop, I haven't seen more than a couple using it with Centennial. Will these play well together?

Thanks!

Wort at end of boil: 6.30 US gals
Expected OG: 1.064 SG
Expected FG: 1.015 SG
Mash Efficiency: 73.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Mash Temp: 152 degF
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 63.0 IBU
Expected Color (using Morey): 8.9 SRM
Fermentation Temperature: 68 degF

Wyeast 1272

9.50 lb US Pale Ale Malt
2.50 lb German Munich Malt
2.50 lb German Vienna Malt
0.50 lb US Caramel 60L Malt

20 min 2 oz Nugget
10 min 1 oz Nugget
10 min 1 oz Centennial
5 min 1 oz Nugget
5 min 1 oz Centennial
0 min 1 oz Nugget
0 min 1 oz Centennial
Dry-Hopped 2 oz Centennial

I'd cut the 20min add down and do a small FWH with both centennial and nugget. I'd also combine your 5 and flameout adds into a 1 minute add. Or up your 10 minute and flameout add to keep the IBUs the same.

Questions:
1. If you've done an "all late hop" beer before, would you dry hop in addition to all the late hops?

I've only done one, with Willamette, Amarillo and Centennial (350g for a 6 gallon batch). It was hoppy, but I felt it would have been better with some dry hops. It just lacked some of the freshness I expect from a great IPA.

2. Given that late hop bitterness contribution is supposedly less than the expected IBU would suggest, should I move some of the Nugget to FHW to get more bitterness? Or just add more nugget at 20 min?

I think this depends on the hops you use, and technique. My late hop IPA was calculated to some 70 IBUs and ended up too soft, but then again Amarillo is a low cohumulone soft bittering hop. I recently did an APA inspired by the Epic Pale Ale, which is mostly late hop and calculated to 22 IBU while it tastes like closer to 50 IBU. Then again, hop stand and hot whirlpooling will get loads of alpha acids the calculators don't account for.

1: yes, no reason to cut it out

2: you could FWH, but then it wouldnt be an all late hop brew. just whirlpool/hot steep your KO add and it'll be fine

3: havent used them together, but ive used similar and it worked well

BBGunBrewery said:
So for late addition brews is there any need to do a 60 minute boil? Or do you just do a 20 min?

Depends on whether you're extract or AG. For extract a 20 min boil is fine. For AG you have to worry about DMS. You might get away with it, but I wouldn't risk it personally. Although when I did my AG late hop IPA I cut the boil down to 45 minutes to hit my final volume better (it was my first AG).

Back