All in One systems And Sous vide

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

pkrist01

Reaction score
I’ve seen a couple threads regarding use of a circulator in the mash, but I’m thinking about the sparge. I just ordered a Grainfather Connect and I have a couple Sous vide immersion circulators and was thinking it might be a reliable way to heat and maintain sparge water. In its normal use, the circulator does not contact anything but water, so it’s not contaminated. I could add the exact amount of sparge water I’ll need in a clear Sous vide container, heat it within 0.1° of 170° and add as necessary. Thoughts?

Sudz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve seen a couple threads regarding use of a circulator in the mash, but I’m thinking about the sparge. I just ordered a Grainfather Connect and I have a couple Sous vide immersion circulators and was thinking it might be a reliable way to heat and maintain sparge water. In its normal use, the circulator does not contact anything but water, so it’s not contaminated. I could add the exact amount of sparge water I’ll need in a clear Sous vide container, heat it within 0.1° of 170° and add as necessary. Thoughts?
Brilliant! I have a Souls Vide with nothing to do (definitely not for cooking) and it will maintain the perfect sparge temp. This is my next step forward.

Thanks...

Bovronius

Reaction score
I did this exact thing for the first time last night (got a Grainfather on NBers recent sale).

Just used my nomiku sous vide to heat the sparge water on the side so it was ready when it came time. Then just used a measuring cup to pour the sparge water over the mash as it needed it (Will eventually convert one of the sous vide water holders and put a spigot on it so I can just open a valve slightly and let it go).

Worked great.

As far as contamination it's all pre boil so you don't have to worry about bacteria really anyways!