All in one home setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBeck67

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has experience with clawhammer or spike equipment and customer service...down to their all in ones for new set up or maybe there’s another I’m missing around that price point
Thx

Nothin?? I have decided on a 5 gal 240 system but not sure on manufacturer yet...not crazy about talk about clawhammer not great at drawing the last half gallon of wort...also considering brau

I'm also in the same boat as you @TBeck67. I was initially thinking clawhammer but really like the Spike solo. I've not pulled the trigger yet but thinking I will go with the 15gal Solo system.

I’d do the 15 but I do wanna be able to run 2.5 test batches

I did also want to pick up a conical but maybe just do carboys a while so as to ease the massive hit my wallets gonna take!! Want to make sure I get the kit that I can grow with and that will get old with me

@NewJersey do you have issues with a stuck mash? It seems like that may be the biggest issue on the solo system.
Ordered mine a week ago. From what I've read it's not that hard to avoid. I plan to mill at suggested setting, dough in and stir it up well, turn off pump/heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes, and recirculate with a blichmann auto sparge. I also plan to split the flow between whirlpool and sparge as I've read many times on here this will help produce more stable temps.
If this process isn't satisfactory I'll then involve a bag, but I don't think I'll need it.

I feel like a setup that runs up around 2k shouldn’t have any issues tho

Yeah I get that although surprising I’ve scoured forums etc and people put the solo at the top..I think it’s probably the highest price point for an all in one...definitely a beautiful set up

Spike went out of their way to fix an issue I had, can't recommend them enough. I love Clawhammer's videos, haven't tried their products though.

It was a minor issue btw, I think any other company would have told me to shove it lol.

Back in the day, many of us got into homebrewing for the cost saving factor as well as for the craft. As I look at what's happening now I gotta just shake my head. 2500.00 (or more) for a setup!!. Oh well, I guess I'm just a grumpy old man. (See avatar) On the other hand, it's good to see so much exceptional equipment available for those who want/can afford it.

Well down here in NZ craft beer is upwards of 6 us dollars a pint bottle in the supermarket and can be twice the price in a pub. Our pubs and restaurants are open in most of New Zealand ( except Auckland ) at the moment. So I reassure myself I'm saving a fortune by drinking my homebrew. Capital outlay is steep though if you want it to be.

Back in the day, many of us got into homebrewing for the cost saving factor as well as for the craft. As I look at what's happening now I gotta just shake my head. 2500.00 (or more) for a setup!!. Oh well, I guess I'm just a grumpy old man. (See avatar) On the other hand, it's good to see so much exceptional equipment available for those who want/can afford it.
It amazing what you can do with no "system", just a pot and a BIAB bag and the kitchen stove. The downside is my batch size tops out at 5 gallons, but I don't know what I'd do with more beer than I'm brewing now anyway. I agree its great that people who have the cash can find what they want, sometimes it seems that the homebrew hobby is slowly dying out, but I guess its not like that everywhere.

Have you considered the Unibrau V3? It is a modular system so you can make it anyway you want unlike some others. The basket in the Clawhammer was a no go for me. I like to sparge and with Clawhammer's grain basket I did not see a realistic way to sparge. I have the 10 Gallon 220V 5500w system and came from a Grainfather (coffee urn) so I am elated with the system. The Unibrau and Spike Solo are similar.

Anyone have any experience with the Brau all in one?
Yes, I have the 10g 220v 5500 watt system and love it. I have 4 brews on it and still finding out new processes since I had a coffee urn (Grainfather) prior.
Plus I can talk to the owner at any time....within reason.

Yeah looking at their 10gal 220 offering $150 off
The picture of the Kettle is out of date. The ones they sell now have an additional port. The additional port near the top of the kettle and is directly above the pump port and below the grain basket port. Click the pic>>>>>

Attachments

• Unibrau V3.pdf
    230.2 KB · Views: 39
Yes, I have the 10g 220v 5500 watt system and love it. I have 4 brews on it and still finding out new processes since I had a coffee urn (Grainfather) prior.
Plus I can talk to the owner at any time....within reason.
Do use use a basket for hop I’ve read the plate chiller can gum up without using one?

I do use a hop spider along with the hop blocker and dip tube. Yes it can clog/gum up but that is just a testament to how well the hop blocker works. Using a hop spider , in my opinion does not effect the hop utilization as far as I can tell. It is still important to do a good back flush cleaning on the plate chiller, if you are using the included plate chiller. I have found that plate chiller is extremely efficient.

Do use use a basket for hop I’ve read the plate chiller can gum up without using one?
I misread your comment..I was thinking you were saying the "hop blocker" was gumming up....I have never had an issue with the "plate chiller" gumming up as long as I use the hop spider and hop blocker regardless of how many hops I use.

Ok great just read some comments on their site I guess some still use a spider as well ... this is definitely on my shortlist!!

Have you considered the Anvil Foundry 10.5 that's what I have and I really like it. There is a huge forum on here and most positive reviews. Good luck. :mug:

Well here it is 2022 pandemic forced a change of plans but about ready to finally buy a setup…was ready to pull the trigger on a spike 10 gal but hate the thought of restricting myself to 5gal batches..should I consider the 15. Happy New Years everyone looking forward to finally doing some beer!! 🍻

Back