all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like the others said, variety of styles. Partial mash can get you some more of that though. Cost savings if you have access to bulk grains locally at a decent price.

I did it because it looked like more fun. It was and is.

I went to all grain this year and I find it a lot more fun. Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but I enjoy the mash process and the satisfaction I get from making my beer "from scratch" (or close to it). I originally decided to try all grain because I wanted to be able to control more of the variables in my process; of course the flip side of that coin is that there are more variables to control. Anyway, I'm glad I made the jump & I can't see myself going back to extract in the future.

I want to go all grain as soon as I get my own brew space. The SWMBO doesn't give me grief at all. But I want to be able to spread out and not worry.

My reasons are for control and variety. And I am absolutely dying to clone the Gaelic Ale from Highland Brewing. I love that stuff!

Cost and flexibility are nice benefits. Complication is the downside.

Self-reliance is also good... imagine being able to grow your own barley (and hops!), malt it, mash it, brew it, bottle it (or keg it) and drink it, when the only three inputs were the Sun's energy, the Earth's soil+atmosphere and your effort... how cool would that be? :D

I'm a long way from there, but going all-grain was part of that so I have given it a try.

EDIT: okay, the yeast would have to do their part too... sorry, yeast.

what do you get buy going all grain(are why should you)
A few centuries ago, your wife would brew your beer out of local ingredients. Today, you have access to grains from all over the world. I have found choosing my own grains to make my own homemade wort (essentially grain broth) sure beats getting liquid extract out of the can at the store.

I'm starting my 4th brew (3rd all-grain) and I'm never going back to canned extract. It's not a slag on canned extract because you can make tasty beer...but I can make the beer I want when I choose my own grains, hops, and yeast.

DY

Latest posts

Back